Hosted Tile Layer Update (Portal)

Jump to solution
06-23-2020 03:46 PM
JimLugosi
New Contributor III

Hi folks, I have a hosted tile layer that I created from a hosted feature layer within our Portal Environment.  I would like to know if the hosted tile layer is automatically updated when the the feature layer is updated or do I have to recreate the hosted tile layer each time?  I check within Server Manager and there is no option to rebuild.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Portal for ArcGIS 10.7.1

ArcGIS Server 10.7.1

Jim L.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hi Jim,

Automatic tile layers are a great option for ArcGIS Online. They are fantastic at saving space and automatically updating tiles in the background. I would definitely go for this option in ArcGIS Online.

However, I believe your question was about Portal (ArcGIS Enterprise). My understanding is that automatic tile layers do not exist in ArcGIS Enterprise for hosted feature layers:

As per the link I provided before, it says:

"Edits to spatial attributes made to the hosted feature layer are not automatically reflected in the hosted tile layer. You must republish the hosted tile layer from the updated hosted feature layer."

It is possible to create a tiled map service that is not hosted, ie directly referencing a database or file based data source. Then you could use on demand caching but that also does not automatically update. You need to recreate tiles in the areas where feature updates have occurred:

Map caching on demand—Documentation | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Mark

Regards,
Mark

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hi Jim,

Tile layers do not automatically update when the underlying data changes. This is because tile layers are series of images that are created at the time of the tile cache creation. Those images are static and can only be updated by recreating the tile cache again.

Did you create your hosted tile layer from a hosted feature layer? If so you will have to republish the tile service from the hosted feature service periodically to reflect any changes:

Publish hosted tile layers—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Mark

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
JimLugosi
New Contributor III

Hi Mark, thanks for the response.  That is what I figured.  However, reading the following article lead me to believe differently and got me confused.

Publishing tiles from features: efficient, automatic, and economical

If you get the chance, take a look at the article.  It infers that the tiles are updated automatically.  See the comment below:

"when the data in the feature layer changes tiles are automatically updated. This includes when a feature is added, removed, or modified. Tiles for that area will be updated automatically to reflect the new data within a few minutes. With automatic tiles, you don’t have to worry about building your tile cache ahead of time or updating tiles to keep them updated with the latest feature data."

0 Kudos
mdonnelly
Esri Contributor

Hi Jim,

Automatic tile layers are a great option for ArcGIS Online. They are fantastic at saving space and automatically updating tiles in the background. I would definitely go for this option in ArcGIS Online.

However, I believe your question was about Portal (ArcGIS Enterprise). My understanding is that automatic tile layers do not exist in ArcGIS Enterprise for hosted feature layers:

As per the link I provided before, it says:

"Edits to spatial attributes made to the hosted feature layer are not automatically reflected in the hosted tile layer. You must republish the hosted tile layer from the updated hosted feature layer."

It is possible to create a tiled map service that is not hosted, ie directly referencing a database or file based data source. Then you could use on demand caching but that also does not automatically update. You need to recreate tiles in the areas where feature updates have occurred:

Map caching on demand—Documentation | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Mark

Regards,
Mark