DynamicValue: Cascade Attribute vs. Copy Linked Record

08-01-2018 12:56 PM
JasonBalmut1
New Contributor II

In our county, long before there were databases, each postal area handled their own addresses and as such it was common for those in charge to name their roads in generic ways (i.e. Main Street, 1st Avenue, etc.), especially in the town's core.  Later, when the county government consolidated the addresses into a single database, they inherited duplicate road names over the region.  When the County decided to upgrade to using Esri's tools to manage the data, with great wisdom and foresight they made sure to create separate entries for each duplicate road name in the MasterStreetName table so that each one would have a unique Street Code (STCODE) value so that the StreetCenterline and Nodes it was associated with would also be unique.  It made logical sense.

Our organization uses the Attribute Assistant tool and the Address Data Management solution.  There are two Value Methods in the DynamicValue table that work in similar ways yet different enough that one could be a big issue in our duplicate road names scenario if not handled properly:

CASCADE_ATTRIBUTE - Updates all occurrences of a value when the corresponding value in another table is changed.

COPY_LINKED_RECORDUpdates an attribute of a feature with a value from a related table.

In a perfect world (or small geographic extent), where no duplicate full road names exist, the Cascade Attribute option makes sense - change the value upstream and let it trickle down to all of the other fields downstream.  In the case I have laid out, where duplicate road names exist over a large geography, Copy Linked Record makes more sense because it is specific to the Street Code.

Yet, in our DynamicValue table I find both methods affecting the same road name fields.

Does anyone else have a similar situation?

0 Replies