ERROR 001566: when trying to Clip

03-16-2019 02:36 PM
RyoTakahashi
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

When I tried to clip raster with several polygon shape files, I observed that some shape files worked, while some gave me an error (Error 001566). The error message indicates that input polygon may not be within raster layer. However, by checking the map, the failed polygon layer is inside of raster layer, so it seems just fine.

What makes me confuse is that some input polygon worked just fine. I don't see any difference between the worked polygon and failed polygon.

When I checked the error 001566 from following link, it may be due to overwrite error.

001566: Service overwrite error: failed to delete the service.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

However, I'm not deleting or overwriting any files, just generating new file by clipping.

And it doesn't make sense because some input polygon files are working.

When I searched the solution, I found the following link.

Error 000229 when trying to Clip 

Although the error number is different, it may be causing the same error.

One person responded that it worked by turning off background processing.

However, since I'm using ArcGIS Pro, there is no option to change the setting of background processing.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to solve this issue with ArcGIS pro (now, I'm regretting to switch to pro).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JeremyFreund1
New Contributor II

You must have been more in the know than me from the get-go. I suspect I am not the only one who is now locked into a situation where they simply cannot afford to reorganize all their data. Anyway, at least the issue is called out informally here at GeoNet. Perhaps we can save others from wasting hours of time trying to figure out why they're getting unexplained errors.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I did a search on feature datasets and found a post of mine bemoaning their use from 2013; there have been others since then and probably some before then.

I'm not suggesting you re-organize your data, but you should be aware that there can be short comings with feature datasets, as you've already experienced.  The agency I'm currently employed by uses feature datasets as a file management tool, but as we move towards services, feature datasets are (finally) falling by the wayside.

That should just about do it....
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree - feature datasets should not be used as folders - they should be used when needed for topology, network datasets, etc. 

This was Esri's design from the get-go; In my first introduction to geodatabases in an early adopter ArcMap class the summer of 2000, they told me not to use feature datasets as folders! (Remember that class Jorge Ruiz-Valdepena‌?)

0 Kudos
LizzieChiobvu
New Contributor

Thank you. I had a similar issue but it worked once I used the default GDB under Output Raster Dataset.

0 Kudos
ANRGIS
by
Occasional Contributor

Did you ever get a response to this issue?

I'm receiving the same error after upgrading to 10.8. The issue seems to exist within modelbuilder. The irony is that it will run when accessed from the toolbox. When the model is published to a service, it fails.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Can you be a bit more detailed for the error you are getting and the workflow you are using?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
Lydia
by
New Contributor

I am having the same issue.

I was clipping using raster as output extent. Everything was within the input raster layer's extent. It gave me the same error.

It was able to work after I made all the raster extent into shapefiles and then use the shapefiles as output extent.

0 Kudos