Addressing Standards - getting started

08-27-2015 02:52 PM
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

The City I work for (Roseville, California) is in the process of moving around the ownership of several data layers, so I've been asked to get involved with GIS addressing tasks.  I have not done addressing before, so wanted to throw out a beginner question - are there standards commonly used for GIS addressing data?  I've been told our data has to meet the needs of not just the folks tracking land development and assets, but also the 911 response community (it will eventually feed into a New World CAD system that is in the works). 

I've heard in the past that the National Emergency Numbers Association (NENA) provides one of the major addressing standards:

National Emergency Number Association

Is this the predominant standard?  Are there others?  How does one start getting educated in the GIS side of the addressing standards world?

(I suspect this is the realmJoe Borgione lives in).

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Steven et al;  I now have this picture in my head of a black Suburban pulling up and the Address Standards Police piling out....

When I worked for State Government the standing joke was if you want a project to die, form a committee.  It wouldn't be so funny if it weren't so true.  I can't tell you how many standards committees I've been on; almost as many invitations to them that I've turned down.

What I see as a suitable standard is as I mentioned; a basic template that covers the most basic information.  The field names don't really need to be the same:  it really doesn't matter if you call it the LF_ADDR or the Left_From_Addresses, or what ever, just so you have something in place that can be translated or mapped to another database.

Attached is a spreadsheet for a streets feature class attributes table.  The first worksheet (Streets09) is the original schema I used to manage and it has some very specific fields in it for specific uses.  Remember when I suggested to follow the money?  VECC is who I work for and they were the ones who ponied up a server and SDE, along with me to manage it for all the cities that VECC dispatches for.  So I got to set the 'standard'.  Each one of the fields is color coded as to what agency it is specific to, or if it's universal.

Take a look at Streets2013; much lighter weight with only two VECC specific fields, because VECC still controls the vertical and horizontal.  But you get the point; trim it down to the basics that even the stodgiest of committee members can agree upon.  Personally, I'm not too worried about the black Suburban...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Black Suburban now detailed, engaging addressing data for correct routing.... 

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
MattTenold1
New Contributor II

Regarding addressing and using it for Dispatch and Emergency services, accuracy is the most important part of GIS address and street centerline files.

From there you can flag errors and look for ways to resolve addressing errors such as address numbers on the wrong side of the street, suite numbers out of order, or streets with two different names one for each side of the street.  There are going to be errors in your address and street data and some may not be able to be resolved until the occupant moves out.  It is just a part of addressing.  People will complain if you try and fix their address.  Sometimes with proof that the address is a public safety hazard you can push through the address change but be prepared for some pushback.

If you follow the NENA guidelines as much as possible you cannot go wrong.  However you do need to modify your data to a degree to work with your dispatch system.

It is also a necessary step to have all of your addresses in your GIS data field verified.  I know its a pain but its worth it.  The sooner you complete this the better you will be.   ESRI has a great address verification map to use and I would suggest looking into address fishbones to catch address errors.

RickIngle
New Contributor III

Matt,

You wouldn't happen to have a URL for ESRI's address verification map would you?

I did a search, but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks.

Rick I.

0 Kudos
MattTenold1
New Contributor II

Sure do.  This is the place to start.  Address Data Management | ArcGIS for Local Government    What version of ArcMap do you have?   I can help with anything address related.  I have set up multiple addressing datasets for quite few different agencies. 

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I wonder if Richard Fairhurst​ has any comments on this, I know he does alot of addressing.

0 Kudos