Select to view content in your preferred language

Where in the command �??Create TIN from feature�?� in ArcGIS 10?

03-03-2011 01:49 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Where in the command �??Create TIN from feature�?� in ArcGIS 10?

Please, see the attached image that shows my question

Why the command �??Create TIN from feature�?� is not in the toolbox? or even in the pull down minue as in ArcGIS 9?

Thank you
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
MichaelStead
Regular Contributor
It's the "Create Tin" tool, the description is just inadequate. It creates an empty TIN if you don't define any inputs I guess.
0 Kudos
ChristianSveen
New Contributor
How do I remove unuseful elevation data from TIN? (if possible)
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
They have augmented the 'Create Tin' tool to do all of the processing like the old toolbar button did. The old 'Create TIN' did not include data, but the new one does.  I agree the help needs to be updated for version 10 and I have indicated as much on the feedback for the page. If you see something like that I encourage using that feedback button.  It is a little button with a pencil on it. 

As far as the TIN Chris mentioned, it appears that you are using your boundary as a Hard Clip rather than Soft clip. I would create the TIN again and this time, specify a soft clip and remove the height for that feature.
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Regular Contributor II
In addition to Jeff's answer; you could also use the TIN Editing tools (toolbar) which are now bundled with version 10. (Previously a separate install).  If Hard Clip does not remove all the triangles you could delete them manually using these tools.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
They have augmented the 'Create Tin' tool to do all of the processing like the old toolbar button did. The old 'Create TIN' did not include data, but the new one does.  I agree the help needs to be updated for version 10 and I have indicated as much on the feedback for the page. If you see something like that I encourage using that feedback button.  It is a little button with a pencil on it. 

As far as the TIN Chris mentioned, it appears that you are using your boundary as a Hard Clip rather than Soft clip. I would create the TIN again and this time, specify a soft clip and remove the height for that feature.

Thank you Jeff for the answer.

I'm wondering why ESRI couldn't includes all the commands in the ArcToolbox. It's quite crucial for the user to access all the commands from one place!

second, some times, the same command has two different names! one name in the Arctoolbox and other name in the toolbar minue!

regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm wondering why ESRI couldn't includes all the commands in the ArcToolbox. It's quite crucial for the user to access all the commands from one place!

All of the commands have always been in ArcToolbox.  The toolbar was what was limited in functionality. It only contained a subset of tools that 3D Analyst offered.

second, some times, the same command has two different names! one name in the Arctoolbox and other name in the toolbar minue!

This is one of the very reasons the toolbars from Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst had their tools removed.  Different names, different parameters, different UI's, different environments/options, all led to confusion for many users.  The full power of these extensions (analytically anyway) has always been and remains in ArcToolbox.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
All of the commands have always been in ArcToolbox.  The toolbar was what was limited in functionality. It only contained a subset of tools that 3D Analyst offered.

This is one of the very reasons the toolbars from Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst had their tools removed.  Different names, different parameters, different UI's, different environments/options, all led to confusion for many users.  The full power of these extensions (analytically anyway) has always been and remains in ArcToolbox.

Regards,
Eric

Thank you Eric for the reply.

i think, this kind of confusion is still there!

i to collect some examples that shows these two issues:

- commands that are not in the ArcToolbox;
- commands that have different names.

regards

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jamal,

Please provide specific examples and I can provide comments/history.

Thanks,
Eric
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
In terms of a comprehensive list of the differences between toolbars it is not necessary.  The functionality is there, but the way you are used to accessing it is just what has been altered. In looking at the 3d Analyst Toolbar 9.3.1 and 10 here is the most direct description. 

The toolbar buttons are there, but they have removed the rest of the drop down as all of that functionality is still in the same place in ArcToolbox.  The interpolation tools are all located under the folder heading Interpolation, the Surface toolset, the Functional Surface, and Conversion are all there.

So the tools are still there, but the interface is a little different.  All of the functionality remains.
0 Kudos