Select to view content in your preferred language

TINs and contours

09-10-2014 04:35 PM
jaredpilbeam
Deactivated User

Hello,

Using: ArcMap Desktop 10.2.2

I have a DEM file and would like to zero in on a very small area (80 acres) that has only a foot or two elevation rise from east to west. I have tried contours and TINs to try and bring out the subtle differences in height. I have the contours set a 2" intervals, but in ArcMap it doesn't really show some drops in elevation that I notice in plain sight while standing out there. Is this asking too much of this software or is there a tool that can draw on these smaller scale operations?

I've attached a TIN image that shows the area zoomed in. You can barely see it, but in the area (with the box around it) in the tin where I used the Edit Tin tool to bring out the contours, you can see some shading in that area that might help bring out the subtleties. But it's all green and not very useful.

So, all in all, is there a way I could have a TIN of this tiny boxed in area where I could maybe use 2" intervals? Or be able to delineate clearly subtle high and low spots in such a small area?

Much Thanks!

-Jared

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

kind of pushing it ... have you tried a grid?  If the size of tin facet or the grid cell is large relative to the point spacing used to generate it, I doubt you are going to improve what you have

0 Kudos