Select to view content in your preferred language

Station/Elevation on 3D line (incremented elevations)

10-04-2011 08:04 PM
BondHarper
Occasional Contributor II
Is there a way to create a station, elevation file for a 3D line at incremented elevations? For example at every tenth of a foot change:
station, elevation
0, 750.6
43.67, 750.5
59.34, 750.4
76.55, 750.5
101.97, 750.6

Right now I can use Feature Class Z to ASCII (with Profile as the output) and get a station, elevation file at random elevations (presumably where the line intersects a new triangle in the TIN).

Any ideas? Thank you!!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakubSisak
Regular Contributor II
By creating stations you mean points along the line at specific intervals?  You could divide the 3D line at intervals then convert the line to points but you will get all the vertices that way not just the divisions.  To convert the 3D line to 3D points you will need either ArcInfo or basic knowledge of ArcObjects, programming and the Add-on framework.  The only way I can think of to filter out the "station" points without much manual work would have to be programatically.
0 Kudos
BondHarper
Occasional Contributor II
Jakub,

Thanks for your reply! That is not quite what I am looking for. In the end I want to get cross-sectional area and perimeter for several different elevations (I know using GeoRAS and HEC-RAS will get this, but I want my program to run independently). That is why I was trying to get distances to specific elevation intervals instead of specific distance intervals. Thanks again, though!
0 Kudos
MichaelStead
Regular Contributor
You could densify verticies, then convert the 3d line to 3d points. Then calculate the z value of the points into the table. Then use these values to create m values in the 3d line. Then you could use the line to create stations as route events.

Looking back at this 3d lines to 3d points seems to be a problem to you. I just use the GeoWizards tool. This is a free function. Pretty sure you could do this a few ways without an Editor/Info licence as long as you had 3D or Spatial extension if you need to script it or something.
0 Kudos