Select to view content in your preferred language

Layer Properties in an edit session Globe

02-22-2010 01:15 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
I can change the properties in the Globe window but only if I am not in an edit session.  So, If I need to set a def query, I then need to stop editing, double click properties, set def query, then restart editing.  I should be able to just double click properties when in an edit session.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
This is not an issue with Scene.  I can edit and still click properties.
0 Kudos
DeepinderDeol
New Contributor III
Hi Ted,

In ArcGlobe, while in an edit session you cannot access/change layer properties. In addition you are also not allowed to do a manual refresh of the layer (via TOC, rt. click on layer --> refresh) - this is as designed.

Difference in behavior between Scene and Globe is because Globe makes use of a disk cache whereas Scene does not. Changing layer properties will cause a refresh of a layer's disk cache which can cause display issues with edits which have not yet been saved.

So in Globe you will have to define the layer properties before you start the edit session.

Thanks,
Deepinder Deol
3D-Team
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Hi Ted,

In ArcGlobe, while in an edit session you cannot access/change layer properties. In addition you are also not allowed to do a manual refresh of the layer (via TOC, rt. click on layer --> refresh) - this is as designed.

Difference in behavior between Scene and Globe is because Globe makes use of a disk cache whereas Scene does not. Changing layer properties will cause a refresh of a layer's disk cache which can cause display issues with edits which have not yet been saved.

So in Globe you will have to define the layer properties before you start the edit session.

Thanks,
Deepinder Deol
3D-Team

I get it, thanks for responding and explaining, It just seems like a huge limitation, and definitely not a consistent user experience for us across the software stack. With editing in 3D, i now have to do a bit more planning.  In Map, I can just act, at a moments notice to make changes, this is why this is a limitation because my brain works on impulses, I am editing, and ideas pop up to be solved, there is flexibility in Map that support those types of workflows.  In Globe, this is not the case, If I have an impulse, I need to stop editing, make any layer changes, then go back to editing.  This is not as seamless.
0 Kudos