Select to view content in your preferred language

LAS to Multipoint

06-03-2014 11:18 AM
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III
I am having a problem when using LAS to multipoint. When looking at my LAS dataset, points occupy all of the cells which outline the 50 .las files in my LAS dataset. However, when i convert to multipoint, points only occupy the first two columns (about 15 of 50 cells) of my dataset. MY first assumption is that there may be a limit on the number of points when covnerting to multipoint, is this so?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34311[/ATTACH]
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I would check to see if the point totals are close between the LAS Dataset and the multipoints. Generally speaking I would not perform the action you are as the LAS data is incredibly large. You may also be having an issue with displaying that number of points.  Most of the time the redraw will pause if the mouse is moved. What are you looking to achieve by converting all of the LAS files to multipoints?  Convert it to a Terrain?
0 Kudos
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III
I have two LAS datasets, one for all point one just with ground.

I am using these two dataset in order to create a tree canopy height raster which in turn will allow me to identify areas where communication towers and Water towers exist. (since they stick out above the canopy and exhibit high values.)

I am converting the LAS to multipoint (and then point to raster) in order to create a raster grid containing only 1st return points with the maximum point within each cell becoming the cell value.

I have attempted to use LAS dataset to raster but i cant seem to figure out the combination of right settings, every time i run this tool it displays a raster similar to this, no clue why.

Thanks for the help.

I'd also like to state that i was able to complete this process with other smaller LAS datasets in the past

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34334[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos