Las dataset to raster - IDW

04-20-2015 03:22 AM
RafalRozpondek
New Contributor

Hello, I am writting thesis, the main goal of my thesis is to compare distances between cloud points and raster grid(made from these cloud points).

I am analysing all of methods - but i wasn't able to find how actually IDW (inverse distance weighted) works in "Las dataset to raster" function.
I found this ArcGIS Help 10.1 , but in "Las dataset to raster" function, there is no possibility to choose any parameters.

Anyone knows how the IDW works in "las dataset to raster"?

I am sorry for my english, but i hope that you understand me.

Thank you very much for answers!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Have you read the hep file on IDW? ArcGIS Help 10.1

MáriaChupáčová
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm dealing with the same problem and I've contacted Esri support to ask about parameters used when using IDW interpolation in LAS dataset to raster function. They answered as followes: "When we utilize the IDW Cell Assignment type under binning there is not a search radius applied, and the power used is 1. The reason that a search radius is not applied is due to the fact that with the binning option, only the points within each cell are used to determine the cell value in the output raster.
However, if your customer is using the LAS Dataset to Raster tool to generate a DSM or DTM, I would suggest that they utilize Triangulation with Natural Neighbor as the Interpolation method. The Triangulation interpolation methods derive cell values using a TIN based approach while also offering the opportunity to speed up processing time by thinning the sampling of LAS data using the Window Size technique."

If anybody knows any other way to use IDW interpolation when converting LAS data to raster without using vector representation of LAS data (by this I mean using LAS to multipoint and IDW functions), I will be very grateful for any suggestions.

I hope this will help somebody - better late than never. 

0 Kudos