Select to view content in your preferred language

Is ArcScene in v10 any better???

11-25-2010 07:18 AM
marieducharme
Occasional Contributor
Hello All,

I am using ArcScene for the first time in a year and a half...I remeber it beign somewhat "crashy" but wow...what a dud.

It has crashed on me today while exporting to 2D, while trying to display a TIN according to Face Elevation, and even with a really good PC, the display of TIN is still very glitchy....I get white outs in random sections.

I am still on v9.3.1 (I am procrastinating about switching to v.10....Please, somebody tell me that things have improoved in v.10. Please.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JakubSisak
Regular Contributor II
Yes. it is better. Some new features and a different work-flow but navigation, rendering and especially exporting to 2D is much improved. Was disappointed with the editing features, do not expect anything close to SketchUp functionality...
And 3D export to VRML? Seriously?
0 Kudos
marieducharme
Occasional Contributor
Thanks jakubsisak!

I am installing v10 right now (on a virtual machine, cause I ma not convinced I am ready, or need 10 right now).

And 3D export to VRML? Seriously?

BTW, export to VRML was in 9.3.1.
0 Kudos
marieducharme
Occasional Contributor
jakubsisak;57595 wrote:
Yes. it is better. Some new features and a different work-flow but navigation, rendering and especially exporting to 2D is much improved. QUOTE]

Wow, Jakub, not really sure what is imprroved in 10. I installled two weeks ago, and have tried various export....the outputs suck as much as they did in 9.3.1.

If you have any export to 2d recommended settings, can you share?

M
0 Kudos
MichaelStead
Regular Contributor
Hey Marie,

I think the virtual machine will give you an even worse impression..... you will be emulating a graphics processor on a hard disk.... expect this to be slow at best. Try it on a good gaming machine. You will spend 4 times the money on a "business" machine of the same calibre.
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Regular Contributor II
jakubsisak;57595 wrote:

Wow, Jakub, not really sure what is imprroved in 10. I installled two weeks ago, and have tried various export....the outputs suck as much as they did in 9.3.1.
If you have any export to 2d recommended settings, can you share?M

I have always had problems with exporting to 2D in 9.x and older. As soon as I installed version 10 this is has been a lesser of an issue. I tested on 4 different machines with different hardware specs Vista and Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit. In ArcGIS 10 I have next to no issues exporting to 2D. Previously, I was only able to export low resolution. Now, DPI 600+ and very large scenes yield a high quality and high resolution image. But there are exceptions which I believe might be related to video. On my primary machine that has an NVIDEA Quadro 4000 (2GB) I get some strange shading anomalies on a bare TIN but no anomalies when I drape an aerial image over it.  Still, it is a vast improvement over legacy versions in my opinion but there is room for improvement.
0 Kudos
marieducharme
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

Augh! I am still struggling to export to 2D. Grrrrrr.

I have  v10  installed on my main machine now (not virtual machine).

I have included a screen shot of my scene, and then an export to 2D. I tried may different formats to export (tiff, pdf) but always get the same kind of problem....

The export to 2D is blotchy, and the watercourse at the bottom of the scene comes out hatched. My video "card" is a ATI FirePro V8700 (FireGL)....

I really whish I could make this work....
0 Kudos
MichaelStead
Regular Contributor
Have you looked at changing the "raster resolution" setting in the "base heights" tab? I am assuming your imagery and polygon are both pulling heights from the same DEM, but it might be treating them differently.

Also in the "rendering" tab under "effects" there is a "drawing priority" setting you could try modifying.
0 Kudos
RoiMartinez
New Contributor
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.  However, in this case with a feature that is not using the Base Height of the DEM rast file.  I tested all the possibilities as well, and nothing works.  I was at least able to see in ArcScene the same wrong representation in the 2D exported figure.

If you go to Properties of the layer and to Rendering tab and Optimize section and we check "Render layer directly..." option, we see in ArcScene the same problem than in the exported figure.

Could it be the problem related to the graphic card?  I have a NVIDIA Quadro FX3800 but we are thinking to upgrade it.  Does somebody know if this would solve the problem? Some suggestion for a better performance graphic card?

thanks!
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
I am assuming your imagery and polygon are both pulling heights from the same DEM

Just going to add that ONLY THE VERTICES of polygons pull their heights from the layer set to obtain base heights from. The interiors are not surface conforming, which results in the same types of display issues Marie's screenshots show. You can normally resolve the issue by converting the polygon to multipatch using Interpolate Polygon to Multipatch.

Specifically, the product documentation says:
"Consider converting polygons to multipatches if you experience display problems with three-dimensional rendering of polygons draped on a surface."

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos