How do I clip a raster with a polygon in ArcGIS 10?

Jump to solution
09-03-2010 01:42 PM
JennSmithyman
New Contributor II
I have always used Hawth's tools (I have 3D Analyst not Spatial Analyst), but with the upgrade the tools disappeared....  Can I still get Hawth's tools to work with 10 or is there a function to clip by polygon that I missed?

I have approx. 100 images that I need to clip to field boundaries (polygon layer).

Thank you.
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DonovanCameron
Occasional Contributor II
You can use a toolbox.

Its in Data Management Tools -> Raster -> Raster Processing -> Clip

In here, you can tell it to clip to an irregularly shaped polygon.

After you specify the shapefile to clip to as your Output Extent, then you also need to ensure that you put a checkmark beside the 'Use Input Features for Clipping Geometry' option.

Is that what you needed?

View solution in original post

41 Replies
DonovanCameron
You can use a toolbox.

After you specify the shapefile to clip to as your Output Extent, then you also need to ensure that you put a checkmark beside the 'Use Input Features for Clipping Geometry' option.

Is that what you needed?
myname
by
New Contributor III

ArcGIS support tool to clip raster/DEM or image

here for you Clip raster by polygon in ArcGIS - YouTube 

JennSmithyman
New Contributor II
Perfect.  Thank you.

For some reason, I thought that would give me extents and not the polygon boundary.
0 Kudos
TomasNovacek
New Contributor
Hi, you can use Spatial Analyst Tool Extract by Mask or Extract by Polygon.
Tomas
MatejTacer
New Contributor III
Hi everybody,

The tool Extract By Mask seems to work, however, is there a way to get jpg as the output?
Thank you for your thoughts,
0 Kudos
DonovanCameron
Hi everybody,

The tool Extract By Mask seems to work, however, is there a way to get jpg as the output?
Thank you for your thoughts,

You can specify the output type by changing the extension in the output dataset box to Raster.jpg instead of Raster.tif, Raster.img or whatever it currently is.
0 Kudos
Phuksouliyapommated
New Contributor
How do I clip a raster with a polygon in ArcGIS 10?
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
You can use a toolbox.

Is that what you needed?

Don has the correct workflow.  Use the clip under Data Management > Raster > Raster Processing. If you do not specify the input geometry, you will receive the bounding extents of the polygon.  The output format of the raster is controlled by adding extensions. So .jpg for jpeg, .tif for tiff and so forth.  The only limit is the raster to be output must have the band combination/bit depth for the desired format. 

Extract by Mask will also perform the clip, but Spatial Analyst is required.
andreafrustaci
New Contributor
Is there a way to clip a raster with a polygon but keep the outer portion? (ie, to create a donut?)

Thanks
0 Kudos