Select to view content in your preferred language

Extracting information along (stream) lines

11-06-2014 09:51 AM
JaneB
by
Deactivated User

I have created stream lines from a DEM and would like to get a list of values:

X - "upstream distance", Z - "elevation", S - 'Stream order' and L - "lithology"

for each stream and to export these data to matlab.

I managed to get an (X,Z) and (X,L) lists out using "interpolate shape", and then exporting the data using "profile graph".

But because I have quite a lot of data, it would be nice to do it in a less manual way.

I have ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 with spatial and 3D analyst.

I am rather new to ArcGIS, so advice on what tools to look into would be helpful.

Regards, Jane

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Have you put your workflow into modelbuilder?

0 Kudos
JaneB
by
Deactivated User

I guess I was hoping there would be some function that could extract more than one raster variable along a line segment and put them together in a table, but maybe I have to go more basic than that.

I assume that modelbuilder (or ArcPy?) needs functions to run?

So far there are two levels in my workflow, where i do things manually:

1. Selecting multiple (connected) stream-segments that I want to have analyzed and plotting them with "profile graph"

2. Exporting data from profile graph by right clicking and choosing export - data

Are there any functions that can help me do this?

My streams all drain to a lake. I guess I could somehow get the outlet points to the lake in a point feature class.

Would it then be possible to link all stream segments upstream from each point?

Each outlet has several tributaries and therefore headwater points, I would like a table for each headwater point and to be able to find out which outlet point it relates to.

0 Kudos