Create Point Cloud Scene Layer Package Tool Does Not See RGB Values

02-11-2019 07:09 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In ArcGIS Pro 2.3, I've symbolized a LiDAR point cloud using RGB values and filtered out the points I don't want in my scene layer package. When I open the "Create Scene Layer Package Tool," is doesn't recognize the presence of RGB values as an attribute to cache (see below). If I navigate to the LAS Dataset using the folder icon, the tool sees the RGB values, but I don't get the filtering options I want. I've also tried saving a layer file and loading it into the tool, but it still doesn't include an RGB attribute. Why is this? For now, it seems like python is the only way to force the RGB attribute to be preserved. 

Create Slpk Window

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Are you able to share the LAS file? On my end I have a LAS file with RGB values and I am seeing the parameter populate fully so i'd like to take a look at this LAS file in more depth to determine the issue.

thanks,

Andrew

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My input is a LAS Dataset (.lasd), not a .las file. As you point out, a .las file input does see the RGB attribute.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for picking this up, by the way.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

I tested with a las dataset too and saw the RGB option appear. Do you see the RGB option if you create a las dataset with default settings? Can you provide more details or add some screenshots on how you filtered it?

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My having symbolized the data with RGB values in Pro seems to be the issue. If I filter the points but don’t symbolize the RGB values, the tool sees the RGB attribute. I guess I will have to create the scene layer package first and then access the RGB values second in Pro or ArcGIS Online/Portal. It still seems odd that symbolizing the RGB values somehow makes them unavailable to the tool.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Greg,

I see your workflow now. I am able to reproduce this behavior. This is a bug so i'm logging an issue now to get this fixed. I'll post back here when we have the fix in. Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot this so we can get a repro case.

-Andrew

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you again for looking into this. Using the filtered and symbolized layer file and forcing RGB in the python window worked.

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Greg,

I wanted to close the loop on this. We just installed the fix for this in ArcGIS Pro 2.4 which will be released in June. The behavior for the attribute to cache to disappear from the choice list is expected as we don't want the user to deselect that attribute as it is the currently applied renderer. The bug was in regards to that renderer not being passed to the exporter to create the scene layer package. To recap, you will still see that option missing from the attribute to cache choice list but it will be written out to the slpk so when you consume the slpk you will see the expected renderer.

thanks,

Andrew

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This makes sense, Andrew. Thank you for the update.

0 Kudos