Select to view content in your preferred language

Convert Points with a Z value to a line

06-19-2013 06:56 AM
KentMiller
New Contributor II
It seems like such an easy task.  I have a point file with 4 points with an elevation field and I want to convert to a 3D line. 

Thanks!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I have a point file with 4 points with an elevation field and I want to convert to a 3D line.

Have you tried the Points To Line tool followed by Feature To 3D By Attribute?
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
I don't think that will work Curtis since each point probably has a unique z.  If there is just one line created from the 4 points you only have 1 attribute to use to convert to 3d - meaning all vertices of that line would be the same. 

I didn't test it, but the Points to Line tool says it honors the environment setting: Output has Z Values  I interpret this to mean that if you have 3d points as input you should be capable of producing a 3d polyline from those points assuming you enable this setting in the environment.

Try converting your points to 3d (by attribute) then run Points to Line.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I don't think that will work Curtis since each point probably has a unique z

You're absolutely right Eric. You deserve the checkmark!
0 Kudos
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor
how do I convert points to 3D and I do find the points to line tool? These don't appear to be listed in the 3D analyst tools.
Ken
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
ArcToolbox > 3D Analyst Tools > 3d Features Toolset > Feature to 3d by Attribute

ArcToolbox > Data Management Tools > Features Toolset > Points to Line

What version do you have Ken?

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
KenLucas
Occasional Contributor
Eric,
  the 3D analyst tool you specified is not available in my ArcView 9.3. What tool could convert an ASCII table of X,Y,Z coords to 3D features?  Is there an ET Geo Wizards tool?
Ken
0 Kudos
MattMead
Deactivated User
ET Geowizards does it with Point to Polyline(Z) in the convert menu.  You need to specify a field for it to take the order the points go in as well as the elevations.

If you prefer going directly from the text file you can do so by going to the import tab in ET geowizards and selecting "from text file"
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
In 9.3 see Converting 2D features to 3D features, section: Deriving the existing features' heights using an attribute  Optionally, see ASCII 3D To Feature Class to create 3d points and 3d lines.  You'll have to format the input to the tools liking.

You could also use Create Features from Text File.  See Polyline example.

You will probably need to add the Samples toolbox to ArcToolbox if you choose to write features from text file.  It should be in the same place where all the toolboxes are.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos