Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculating 3D Measure

09-18-2014 02:23 PM
MaciejAmbrozy
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a point layer with a few attributes including "odometer" and "elevation" ones. What I need to do is to create a polyline by connecting the points based on the "odometer" column and calculate 3D measure based on the embedded X/Y coordinates and elevation assigned to each point. How do I do this? I have access to Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions if needed.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Magic

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

I've moved your post into the 3D space. You will get a much better answer here as the GeoNet Help is intended for community help and feedback. You can see more on the community structure, and what topics are under each space from the following documents:

GeoNet Community Structure

ArcGIS Discussion Forums Migration Strategy

Thanks!

Timothy

0 Kudos
JørnKristiansen
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Just thinking loud here: what if you made a terrain from your points height values, used point to lines to make polylines, and then calculated the elevation from the terrain to your lines. Maybe something like this:

geonet.png

-Jørn

0 Kudos
JorgeOrellana
Deactivated User

I don't think a surface is necessary if you use ET GeoWizards. If there are multiple paths, each path would have need a unique ID (if not you would still need to give the points a Path ID) and the points for the path hopefully have some sort of order field or time stamp that they can be sorted by from first to last. If you do, you can just use ETGeowizards Convert tools to go from Shape to ShapeZ.

0 Kudos