Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcScene - Vector lines showing behind the raster

08-20-2014 01:33 PM
JenniferDick
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've added a DEM to ArcScene and now wish to add some vector data to overlay on it. I.e. boundaries, roads, etc.

However, when I add the vector data it appears underneath the raster DEM. I've changed settings in the base Heights tab and extrusion on the layer properties, as well as vertical exaggeration in the scene properties.

However, the layer still appears underneath.

How do I fix this problem, am I missing any steps?

Thanks

Jennifer 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

When you first add the vector features into the scene, it will appear underneath (unless they're Z enabled).

In the base heights tab, you have to tick on the float on surface and chose your dem raster.

Sometimes because of rendering you add a slight offset to the vectors to make them appear slightly above the dem to make them fully visible.

Good luck,

Neil

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

There can be several reason for a feature to appear beneath a raster surface. You can have a look at the priority of the drawing order: About layer drawing priority in 3D

It might be that the 3D features are at the same height or a little lower than the surface. You can increment the z-value of the feature just a little to drape it over the surface: About defining the z-value for a layer

Some more information can be found here: About setting the role of a 3D layer in ArcScene

Kind regards, Xander

0 Kudos