ArcScene crashes with TIN

01-26-2012 05:55 AM
WRingle
New Contributor
I am having two problems with ArcScene (I've installed the 3rd update to ArcGIS10).

1. If I try to copy a TIN from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcScene, ArcScene crashes when I paste it.

2. If I try to output a 3D .wrl file with a TIN in it, ArcScene crashes.

This has happened on two machines (Dell, HP). I can export the .wrl file if I turn off the TIN. Has anybody had similar problems or know of a solution. I need the .wrl to import into a 3D PDF. Would that ESRI made this an option. Tetra4D not working so well for me.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
WRingle
New Contributor
With regard to the .WRL issue, is there a limit on the size of the input file it can handle? I created a TIN from a set of contours that is rather large: Number of Data Nodes: 214623, Number of Data Triangles: 429221. Is this too big? If so, how can one reduce the "grain" of a TIN file created from vectors?
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang1
New Contributor III
ArcScene crashes every time I try to export a TIN to .wrl also, and I would love to know how to get around this problem.

I was able to export a simple raster file from ArcScene to .wrl, but even that took forever and crashed a few times before it worked.  Also, even with the slider for jpg image quality all the way up, the jpg file for texture is very low resolution, not really good enough for what I want to do.
0 Kudos