Select to view content in your preferred language

A tool for Terrain Dataset that is the equivalent of "Delineate TIN Data Area"?

08-09-2011 09:03 AM
StanleyWong
New Contributor II
I am using lidar points to create raster DEM for a bunch of tiles through terrain dataset (import LAS to feature class, create terrain dataset, add lidar feature class to terrain dataset, then export to raster from terrain dataset).

In some tiles,  I have an "L" shape coverage of lidar points and the process produced these "long triangles" in the inside of the "L", so instead of an "L" shape DEM output, I got an image with a pentagon outline.

If I create the DEM through a TIN, I could use the tool "Delineate TIN Data Area" to eliminate this problem, but I cannot use TIN in this case because the tiles have over 10 million points.  I don't see an equivalent tool for terrain dataset.

One way to do this is to create a clipping polygon to limit the output, but then I will have to manually create these polygons.  I am wondering if there is a better and more automated way to do this.

Thanks.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor
One way to do this is to create a clipping polygon to limit the output, but then I will have to manually create these polygons.  I am wondering if there is a better and more automated way to do this.

Have you gone through this help documentation regarding Data area delineation from lidar points? This might help you automate the process of creating clipping polygon.
0 Kudos