Select to view content in your preferred language

3D LIDAR Point Cloud data question

07-08-2014 03:39 PM
TimHayes
Regular Contributor

I have a 3D LiDAR Point Cloud data of piping, valves, pumps etc...it is georeferenced to State Plane and can be viewed in Leica's TruView Application.

I would like to get this data into the ArcGIS environment:

1. Can LiDAR point clouds of pipes, valves, pumps, etc.. be viewed in ArcGIS and/or CityEngine?
  2. I need the data to be "more than just a pretty picture", I would like be able to add attributes to said features and store them in our SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Geodatabase. Is this possible?
  3. I would like bring this 3D data into a map viewer to allow my users to not only see the data in 3D, but interact with it like they do with 2D ArcGIS data in a map viewer. Is this possible?
  4. Will network bandwidth be an issue? will viewing this type of data be slower than viewing 2D data? I am looking for the same performance as viewing 2D data inside a map viewer.
  5. I have done some experiments with 3D data in ArcGIS 3D Analyst and ArcScene but found the labeling impossible and other issues absolutely intolerable to the point that all I could make was truly just a "pretty picture".
0 Kudos
0 Replies