Raster dataset doesn't have RPCs

07-21-2015 10:00 AM
IanFelland
New Contributor

I'm currently trying to orthorectify some images onto a DEM. I understand the process well enough, but the problem I've run into is that in the "image analysis" window the "orthorectify" button is not active. Apparently this means that the raster dataset does not have RPCs.I really don't have a clue what that means. I'm not very experienced in this sort of thing. If it helps at all, the images I'm trying to orthorectify are in .jpg format and I took them using a DJI Phantom 2 drone at about 65m elevation. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I saw your other post about Orthorectifying a DEM, which led me to this page which gives some clues about what an RPC is, and how you may be able to get at it. Basically, it sounds like, hopefully, your UAV provides this information somewhere as a file with the image(s). If not, you should contact the manufacturer to see what your options are, if any. They may sell proprietary software that can extract this information from an encrypted file. Of course, the UAV may not even collect this information, in which case, you'd be out of luck.

CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Ian - I responded to your other question at Re: Georeferencing

You will not be able to use the simple "orthorectify" functionality in the Image Analysis Window because your data will not have RPCs.  RPCs (rational polynomial coefficients) are associated with satellite imagery, but won't exist for drone imagery.

I am working on a whitepaper for ingesting drone imagery into ArcGIS - see my other response and let me know if you would like further information

Cody B

0 Kudos