Select to view content in your preferred language

Projection Files

07-23-2014 04:39 PM
JonathanStanley
New Contributor

Hello,

I am having trouble importing SHP files from FastSurvey. I am able to export, but it pulls in near the Philippines, and should be in West Virginia. I think I am having trouble with a projection file. I can't find an appropriate projection file that I think works. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you upload a picture or text of the feature extent from the shapefile properties?

0 Kudos
JonathanStanley
New Contributor

I cannot get the file into ArcGIS now. I keep getting an error message that says. "Open Failed, Error opening feature class " I am able to pull in other files from other companies I work with, but not files I download from our state website, or files I export from FastSurvey.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

As you've guessed, there's some kind of coordinate system problem happening. It would be quite hard to diagnose without the data's extent or a few sample coordinates plus the general location (county/city).

Unable to open the feature class at all may or may not be related to the coordinate system. If the 'feature class' is really a shapefile, can you post (if not the shapefile itself) what files you do have? Perhaps one is missing. At minimum, you need .shp, .shx, and .dbf. Optionally .prj which contains the coordinate system, but ArcGIS can open a shapefile that doesn't have a .prj file.

Melita