Polygon Extrusion Problem in ArcScene!

05-19-2016 09:09 PM
NasirHameed
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am intending to extrude my polygon as though it is the surface itself lifted up and achieve visualization like block diagram. The objective is to achieve the final results as below (this one has been created by Aileen Buckley, she is an expert Cartographer at ESRI.

Aileen Buckley.PNG

My inserted rasters are already having projected coordinate system and I have floated my Landslide Susceptibility raster over the DEM in ArcScene 10.3. However, results are inserted as below, surely not acceptable.

Capture2.PNG

What might be the root cause of the problem and how would I solve it?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is assigning base heights and extrusion  and vertical exaggeration which enable you to enhance 3D in arcscene

Setting base heights for 3D features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  and

Vertical offsets for feature layers—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

amongst others.

The base heights can be used for simple layer separation with respect to an initial surface giving you that offset look.  You can extrude and exaggerate other surface etc.

You will just have to experiment

0 Kudos
NasirHameed
New Contributor III

I have already provided base height to the overlaid raster and extruded my polygon!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

each layer can have an offset from the base height... read those help topics carefully

NasirHameed
New Contributor III

Thanks, Dan I resolved the problem!

The help was helpful:-) This works but requires much attention.

Base Example (2).png

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Nasir,

Can you describe what you did to make your data work for you? Was it 'simply' setting offsets and adjusting base heights?

0 Kudos
NasirHameed
New Contributor III

Dear Adrian,

I simply converted my polygon (Raster Domain) to polylines using 'Polygon to Line' tool available in Data Management toolbox

2. In polyline properties, check 'extrude features' and set 'using it as a value that features are extruded to'

3. in the Base Heights Tab, set base height 'floating on a custom surface' and choose the DEM as input

I have inserted following scree shots also that would help you to do the job.

Capture.PNG

Capture-3.PNG

Capture-2.PNG