Creating features from existing features that are not editable (.DWG file) with templates?

10-01-2014 05:01 PM
JeradWhite1
New Contributor II

Hello!

I was curious if anyone could assist me. I am copying and pasting features from my basemap (.dwg file) and would like to be able to choose a template to paste into instead of just my layers. The issue I am having is that I would like all of my attributes in my templates to populate my pasted features. I have seen on the esri help for 10.1 (using 10.2) that copying and pasting features allows the pasted features to use the features already populated within the source layer, so that the attributes are not overwritten by template features, but I would like for them to be overwritten with the attributes in my feature template. This might be very confusing so I will provide an example of what exactly I do.

Example: I have a .dwg file from autocad representing roads (polylines), oil wells (points), oil well paths (polylines), and oil well pads (polygons). (Obviously my .dwg file is not editable.) I copy the polyline representing roads and paste this to my "roads" layer, and all of the attributes are null. In my feature template, however, I have all of the necessary attributes populated. When I paste these features, a drop down of all of my editable layers appears. I would like to be able to select a template from this drop down, or find another way to achieve the automatic population that is possible when simply creating features from the "create features" table. The reason I must copy and paste from my .dwg file is because the geometry associated with the points, polylines, and polygons. I believe it would take much much longer to add the geometry afterwards, especially when I am working with pipelines that are miles in length, and must be split depending of heat numbers of the pipeline.

I would greatly appreciate any help whatsoever!

Thank you in advance!!

-Jerad

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelWahl
New Contributor

Maybe I'm not understanding the questions correctly and I apologize if that's the case. But, I think in order to paste features from one layer to another and have the attributes carry over you need to make sure the attribute fields in the layer you are pasting to are identical to the attribute fields in the layer you are copying from. So, if you have an attribute field in the copy layer named "road_name" and is a "text" data type, then you need to have an attribute field in the pasted layer with the same exact spelling (road_name) and data type (text). If the field name and data type do not match in both attribute fields in both layers then the attributes will not populate in the pasted layer and you will get <null> values. My suggestion is to make sure both layers have the same types of attribute fields= names and data types. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
JeradWhite1
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for your reply! Unfortunately that isn't exactly the issue I am dealing with. Im trying or want to be able to choose a template to paste the features in so that the attributes are filled in based on my feature template, if that makes sense.

Thank you again Michael!

-Jerad

0 Kudos