Select to view content in your preferred language

Arscene 10.3.1 blank vrml and exception thrown in destructor

Jump to solution
08-31-2015 07:45 AM
LindsayWallace
New Contributor

Hello,

I can't find this exact problem anywhere, so here is what happens:

I open Arcscene 10.3.1, and add some data from a feature class. I try to export the 3D as a VRML (.wrl file). The file is created, but it is empty, with a size of 0 KB, and can't be opened in other 3D software.

I'm not sure if this is related, but this problem occurs as well: When I close Arcscene, I get an error message that says:

Exception thrown in destructor

(f:\dd\vctools\vc7libs\ship\atlmfc\src\mfc\winfrm.cpp:142)

Encountered an improper argument.

I was able to export a VRML from the same .sxd and data, before I upgraded to 10.3.1.

Has anyone encountered this error, and what can I do about it?

Also I have not posted to the forum in years, so I'm not sure what group or place or whatever to post to, so I'd appreciate advice if I should post this elsewhere. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LindsayWallace
New Contributor

It's useless to me for the same reason. I'm using a different 3D software now: MVS / Earth Volumetric Studio by CTech. They respond to tech support questions on their forum in the same day, almost always the owner of the company is the one who responds. The rendering is much higher quality than ArcScene, and the software is more powerful with greater capabilities. It's just a higher learning curve, because the GUI is nothing like ArcMap.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HillaryBjorstrom
Occasional Contributor

I was exporting to pdf

FrankPanaro
New Contributor II

Yes, I have the exact same issue. Was told by ESRI tech support that DEM's only will still export but not scenes with feature data. I didn't even test this as it's still useless to me if I can't export feature data in the vmrl.

LindsayWallace
New Contributor

It's useless to me for the same reason. I'm using a different 3D software now: MVS / Earth Volumetric Studio by CTech. They respond to tech support questions on their forum in the same day, almost always the owner of the company is the one who responds. The rendering is much higher quality than ArcScene, and the software is more powerful with greater capabilities. It's just a higher learning curve, because the GUI is nothing like ArcMap.

0 Kudos
FrankPanaro
New Contributor II

I feel like we should be getting some kind of rebate on the purchase or maintenance of 3D Analyst. This is like buying ArcMap and being told "Oh by the way, you just can't print or export your maps". Why is such a major issue on a very expensive software package taking so long to fix?! I don't like to be overly critical but this is unacceptable ESRI.

0 Kudos