3d Historical maps

12-02-2019 08:47 AM
thaimota
New Contributor II

Hi,

i'd like to create a 3d Historical maps, which looks to this example Scene Viewer . How can i start? there is a tutorial or any document that describe step by step? 

Thanks so much! 

thaina

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello -- I've moved your question to the 3D Mapping‌ space, where I believe there will be a better chance that you'll get a good answer to your question.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
thaimota
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen! 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi thai mota ,

The example you shared contains a couple of historic maps which have been scanned and georeferenced and added to the Scene Viewer. The only 3D layer is the building layer. The living atlas of the world contains a number of 3D layers ready to use, but is depends on the city you want to construct you scene for if there is data available for you. You can create 3D buildings using City Engine or if more simple buildings are ok, you can extrude your building footprints.  

What kind of data do you have?

thaimota
New Contributor II

Hi Xander,

thanks to your reply...so, i scanned and georeferenced historical maps (Bologna city's) and i'll try to generate 3d building from a shp which contain height values. Unfortunatly i don't have cityengine. 

thai

SaschaBrunnerCH
Esri Contributor

Hello thai mota,

Do your shp contains the building-polygones? You can publish this data with ArcGIS Pro or you can publish them directly in AGOL (Shapefiles—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation).

Then you can extrude the buildings. See the blog: What’s new in Scene Viewer (June 2019)  or Style polygon layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation for more information.

Sascha