How to edit ArcGIS Pro Task step and not have to start over

03-27-2020 04:26 PM
JoeBryant1
Occasional Contributor III

I have designed a Task the generates a lot of new data. I'm now running through the final Task steps as a QC test before I release it to my co-workers, making small changes and tweaks to the steps along the way when I see something that could be improved.

How can I just pick up running the Task from where I left off after opening Task Designer to update a step? I don't want to start over at the first step of the Task and regenerate a bunch of data that has already been created.

Tags (1)
2 Replies
JoeBryant1

Bueller? ... Anybody?

Should I add this to the "Ideas" forum?

JoeBryant1

So... the current workaround that we've been using is to make every step in the task "Optional" while you are in development. This allows you to skip steps during testing. Once you have dialed in your task, you can change the required steps to no longer be optional and test again.

My other piece of advise would be to NOT use the record tool to create steps - this seems to hardcode file names into the task steps that cannot be updated later through parameter edits. This causes the step to fail on the next run when it goes looking for that old file name, unlike ModelBuilder which will use the new output from the previous step. For now, try to manually setup all your task step actions.