Collector for Android - SD Card Support for .tpk

03-23-2015 12:16 PM
KirkDavis1
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I have researched into this topic, but have not found an updated answer.  Has ESRI Collector for Android decided to support tile package (.tpk) storage on SD cards?  I understand that there were performance issues with SD cards during testing.  I would like to know if anyone has experimented with this or if Collector plans on including this feature in future iterations?  I need to make a disclaimer that I have not tested saving .tpk files in an SD card - I wanted to check here first.

Thanks,

Kirk

Tags (3)
35 Replies
PatrickMurphy
Occasional Contributor

They may have introduced it, but have done a lousy job of explaining how it works.  I miss the old days of big manuals where you could look up everything via a good index.

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Patrick -- We are always looking to improve our documentation. Could you give me some examples of information about using the SD card that you are looking for and not finding?

Thanks!

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

The link provided by Dan Moore doesn't indicate whether the .tpk package on an external SD card needs to be in a specific directory (as per Patrick Murphy's posts above) or whether you can simply browse anywhere, so perhaps some of the issue is having links to how processes have changed between versions?

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Allison -- There are a lot of links throughout this post so please let me know if I answer about the wrong one. If you are talking about Dan's link on August 11, 2017, that goes to Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS, there is information included about the specific directory that is required -- you need to put it in the ArcGIS_Collector folder.

Thanks!

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
BradMead
New Contributor III

Hi Kylie,

We have run into an issue while attempting to sideload a tpk file onto an Android tablet in Collector Classic version 18.0.3. When a .tpk file is placed in the ArcGIS_Collector folder created by the app on the sd card, it does not recognize the .tpk and does not move the file and generate a JSON and thumbnail as expected. I have only gotten it to do this on the internal storage. It does appear to recognize the tpk if you create the ArcGIS_Collector folder in the root folder of the SD card. It does not generate a JSON or a thumbnail for the tpks in this folder, but it does let you select them for your maps. This has lead to hours of frustration and confusion. It might be nice to specify that the folder must be in the root folder of the SD card if this a requirement for Collector to recognize it.

Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Brad for this feedback! We'll keep this in mind for the next help update

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos