Select to view content in your preferred language

How to feed answers from one survey to auto populate another survey in survey123

11-03-2019 07:11 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am currently looking to create maintenance records and want the records to be stored in another database that can be referenced in the field. I was hoping to auto populate this database so the reference database would automatically update.  An example of how I would want this to work is a field technician would go out into the field to a specific point, before performing any maintenance the field worker would access a survey titled previous maintenance.  There would be a QRcode attached to this point and the bar code would connect to another survey.  This other survey would be the survey for maintenance performed on a specific trip.  Information from this survey would auto populate so the technician can keep track of all previous maintenance and can update it through this other survey.  I hope this make sense.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.

If I understand correctly the workflow you describe, it would go as follows:

• Inspector scans QR code attached to asset.
  • QR code opens an inspection form carrying info from the previous inspection to the asset.
  • After inspection is complete, a new QR code is generated, including information from inspection just finished.
  • New QR code is attached to the asset so all the cycle can be repeated.

I think the above is possible. Give the QR code on the side a go from your mobile phone.  It will download a simple inspection form into the Survey123 mobile app. Note that the 'Previous Inspection' group includes data (from my inspection. Asset ID 5560, Inspection Date November 3, Status is Needs Repair and Comments is Test). All the data from my inspection, except for the AssetID, is read-only.  Next, complete the Inspection group and submit your own inspection. Make sure you enter your correct email. You will receive an email with a new QR code. If you scan that new QR code, your inspection data will show up in the form.

This is all done using the custom url scheme. More info at: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... 

The QR code simply has a URL that opens Survey123 with a form and some data.  To automatically generate a QR code from your own submission I used Integromat. Integromat includes a handy Barcode generator module. More info on Integromat and Survey123 at: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2019/06/02/getting-started-with-survey123-and-integ... 

The trick would be to print that QR code somehow. May be with a Zebra Printers | Desktop, Mobile, Industrial and more  or something like that?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ismael,

so the asset will have a constant qr code attached to it and I was hoping to connect the two survey's with the qr code. I have been reading about url schemes. I was wondering if i could embed a url scheme into the survey123 connect xls form? It would be similar to the pull data function, but instead I would be pulling data from another survey in survey123 with the same QR Code.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would have all the previous survey data in a Collector map.  Then the crew can launch from there - passing over any data you want.

0 Kudos
MichelleWilliams1
Frequent Contributor

Since you are using the same QR code, why not make the additional inspections in a repeated (through Survey123 Connect)?

We do something similar, minus the QR codes.

Steps:

• Work order information is auto-populated using pull() from a CSV in the media folder.
  • Then the inspections are completed in the repeat area.

This makes it helpful because all of the previous inspections can be viewed in the app. 

0 Kudos