AnsweredAssumed Answered

Numpy Percentile error

Question asked by gpalmer_geo92 on Oct 9, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 16, 2019 by gpalmer_geo92

Hi all, running into an error and i'm not sure why when I am trying to rank the attribute field of a shapefile. I have a poly line shapefile of some streams that have an attribute field of some normalized data that is the data type of 'Double' and I am trying to rank these values by quartile. and store their rank in another attribute field. I know that you can use symbology > graduated colors > method: quantile with 4 classes and it is displaying my data correctly. However, I need to be able to have an attribute field with a rank to be able to use the data down the line. 

I have been using python for my processes so far but I am currently running into an error and i'm not sure why/cant really find an answer online anywhere else. Here is a sample of my code

maximum = max(row[0] for row in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(NHDFlowline_HUC12, ['Normalized_Linear']))
print(maximum)
minimum = min(row[0] for row in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(NHDFlowline_HUC12, ['Normalized_Linear']))
print(minimum)
arr = arcpy.da.FeatureClassToNumPyArray(NHDFlowline_HUC12, ('Normalized_Linear'))
p1 = np.percentile(arr, 25)
p2 = np.percentile(arr, 50)
p3 = np.percentile(arr, 75)
p4 = np.percentile(arr, 100)

with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(NHDFlowline_HUC12, ['Linear_Rank', 'Normalized_Linear']) as cursor:
for row in cursor:
if minimum <= row[1] <= p1:
row[0] = 1
elif p1 < row[1] <= p2:
row[0] = 2
elif p2 < row[1] <= p3:
row[0] = 3
elif row[1] > p3:
row[0] = 4
cursor.updateRow(row)

first step should store a max and min value for the normalized data attribute and then create an array containing the values of my shapefile's attribute field 'Normalized_Linear' then the next steps are to assing values to p1 thru p4 as the breaks for the quartile and then use updateCursor to store in the rank. The resulting error is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "script path", line 143, in <module>
p1 = np.percentile(arr, 25, axis=None, out=None, overwrite_input=False, interpolation='linear', keepdims=False)
File "C:\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\function_base.py", line 4269, in percentile
interpolation=interpolation)
File "C:\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\function_base.py", line 4011, in _ureduce
r = func(a, **kwargs)
File "C:\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\function_base.py", line 4386, in _percentile
x1 = take(ap, indices_below, axis=axis) * weights_below
TypeError: invalid type promotion

I am unsure of how to go about fixing this TypeError: invalid type promotion. I feel like it may have something to do with the data type being double but if so, I would like to know how to work around this.

Any help would be much appreciated

Outcomes