Select to view content in your preferred language

Hits and Misses

03-08-2019 08:32 PM
MarkCederholm
Frequent Contributor

Hey, this continues to be a great conference (IMO the only one really worth attending ever since the first year).  My kudos this year are to the Palm Springs Convention Center for their redesigned coffee cups!  Someone had to say "no" to loose sleeves.  The whiffle of the year goes to the wristband implementation:  you couldn't get it set up on time.

All that aside, the one conflict I've really been trying to digest is that between the Cartographic Information Model and the Web Map Specification.  Officially, the Runtime team support the latter, but then they trumpet greater parity with Pro, but you can't do that without adopting CIM.  IMO, native development should not be held up by the deficiencies of JS.

Tags (1)
2 Replies
AmyNiessen
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mark! Great to see you at DevSummit again this year.

Thanks for the feedback about the coffee cups.

As for the wristbands, it seemed to us that people who got them during the day on Thursday had a quick and easy time of it for the most part, but that those who had to wait until the party started Thursday evening spent a lot of time on line. We can look into more check-in stations at the party, but the way to get your wristband more quickly would be to pick it up during the day on Thursday at the registration desks in the main lobby. Am I understanding correctly what you meant by us not getting it set up in time?

For at least the foreseeable future, the cartographic capabilities of web maps are going to be much simpler when compared to the much more comprehensive tools available in ArcGIS Desktop (Pro and ArcMap), described by the CIM. The web map specification is designed to transport maps efficiently in the Web GIS implementation model, and needs to look and work the same in a client-agnostic way, across all browsers, as well as native apps created for a wide variety of sizes and resolutions: smartphones, tablets, desktops.

When the cartographic capabilities you need for your app-deployed maps exceed what the web map specification provides, in a way that is still optimized for Web GIS, there is the Map Image Layer built from a map service you create in Desktop and serve up through Enterprise/Portal.

_>>Officially, the Runtime team support [web maps], but then they trumpet greater parity with Pro, but you can't do that without adopting CIM.<<_

True, but Runtime also supports map image layers. Using this service type is the way to fully support your advanced cartographic needs today.

As for "parity", ArcGIS Runtime does support a subset of the CIM today, and progress will continue. Feature service expose CIM via their advanced symbology options; that's how the Runtime SDK can see and use this information. The JavaScript API will also have support for the CIM in a future release. In both cases, CIM is exposed through the feature layers individually. In addition, to some degree Pro does use some Runtime code, and this also helps ensure greater parity in how symbols are rendered.

MarkCederholm
Frequent Contributor

I meant that the wristband stations were not set up by 10 AM, and after waiting most of the break, I finally gave up and went to the next session before time ran out.

0 Kudos