Identifying Raster Cell values in ArcGIS Online

08-06-2015 07:10 PM
KeithHastings
Occasional Contributor

I have created a Map on AGOL, and want to load a Raster DEM layer into the map so that the users can identify the layer to get a specific cell's elevation.

So far it's not working. I am publishing the data into a Feature Layer on AGOL.

It seems that I can only publish the raster data as a tilemap, and not as a feature service. But then it seems that tilemaps cannot be configured to have popups.

Am I missing something here, or is this just a restriction of the AGOL publishing workflow?

Cheers

Keith

12 Replies
mettegreve
Occasional Contributor

Right there with you - it is also a feature I'm looking desperately for.

BSpaulding
Emerging Contributor

I agree this feature would be very helpful.  One workaround that I'm employing and may work in specific circumstances, subject to data and size limitations. 

I used the "Raster to Polygon" tool to convert my rasters to feature classes in ArcMap (Desktop). Then I uploaded BOTH the raster and the new feature class as two separate services on ArcGIS Online.  In my Online map, I left the raster visible, but symbolized the fill and outline of the feature class as hollow.  Depending on the nature of the data, displaying the feature class probably would have bogged things down, but all I used the feature class for was to drive the value pop-up.

Worked like a charm; problem solved!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I created an example fiddle that works:

Identify with Popup 

However you need to access to the code ie your own site. Would be nice to bake this in to the API so any web map or hosted viewer could do this. If interested vote for the idea  -

Identifying Raster Cell values in ArcGIS Online

0 Kudos