PrintingTools - Export Web Map Task - Unable to complete operation, Error executing tool

04-04-2018 01:37 AM
ReziKenia
New Contributor II

Hello

I have a strange problem with printing tool. 

I have an ASP.NET MVC application that displays a map using Esri's ArcGIS for JavaScript, 3.23 and I am using Print templates with esri.request. Geoprocessing Service is synchronous. I want to print the map and all visible layers using  Export Web Map Task on our ArcGIS server 10.6.

Map services are on the same server as the PrintingTools service.  Layers are public and the firewall is disabled.

I am able to print web map from inside our network, but the problem appears when I am trying to print externally. Outside our network print works only when the visible layer is ESRI’s base map. Esri’s print is able to print my feature layers and also my print is able to print Esri’s feature layers.

The error message is as follows:

error:{code: 400, message: "Unable to complete operation.", details: ["Error executing tool."]} code:400 details:["Error executing tool."] 0:"Error executing tool." message:"Unable to complete operation."

In the Log there is the following message:

Layer "Msaqartvelo": Failed to create layer from service at http://XX.XX.XX:6080/arcgis/rest/services/XXX/XXXXMapService/MapServer/17. Failed to execute (ExportWebMap). Failed to execute (Export Web Map).

In the browser console there is the following message:

Error: Unable to complete operation.

at Object.k.load (init.js:1007)

at init.js:87

at c (init.js:103)

at d (init.js:103)

at b.Deferred.resolve.callback (init.js:105)

at c (init.js:104)

at d (init.js:103)

at b.Deferred.resolve.callback (init.js:105)

at init.js:92

at h (init.js:107)

I have tried different ArcGIS server versions, also publishing from ArcPro 2.1 but I have no luck in this, error messages are all same.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks

17 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm not sure logging a doc bug was the best course of action. This sounds like regression: previous functionality should still continue to work.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh I didn't log the doc enhancement -- the support analyst just let me know if that was satisfactory; I said she can add us, but I'd still like a proper bug as it is, in my opinion, broken

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

BUG-000113849 : The Export Web Map task within Print Service fails if the JSON is formatted.

Feel free to open cases up and attach yourself to the problem so that this can get prioritized accordingly!

AlexandraDubovis2
New Contributor III

Did ESRI ever resolve this issue? Our old 10.6 portal doesn't have this problem. The new 10.8  got the problem.  

Thank you,

Alex

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Just an FYI:

Technically you will see this issue (i.e. print service throws error when formatted json strings are used) with:

1. The out of the box print service that comes with server install starting 10.6, and
  2. custom print service that you publish from ArcGIS Pro using Export Web Map GP tool.
  3. custom arcpy based print service when published from ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro

One exception though:

• If you publish a print service from ArcMap (with Export Web Map gp tool), even on a 10.6 or above server, you can still use formatted json.
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
AlexandraDubovis2
New Contributor III

Did you set Layers group Reference Scale to 1:1200 in your mxd?

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

This issue is a known bug with ArcGIS Server 10.7 and 10.8. We resolved the problem with  the Print Utility in Server 10.8.1 by installing two Patches available in the Download Center. Specifically:

• ArcGIS-1081-S-PS-Patch.msp
  • ArcGIS-1081-S-PSTE-Patch.msp
0 Kudos