Select to view content in your preferred language

xy in dms in the attribute table?

09-15-2017 04:50 AM
LindaRadomile
Emerging Contributor

an anyone explain how to calculate xy in degrees minutes seconds in the attribute table?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could use Convert Coordinate Notation—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

For output_coordinate_format, choose any one of the following (DMS_2 is preferable).

• DMS_1 —Both longitude and latitude values are in a single field. Two values are separated by a space, a comma, or a slash.
  • DMS_2 —Longitude and latitude values are in two separate fields.

Think Location
0 Kudos
LindaRadomile
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for the tip, I did try that but it is not calculating any values.  All attributes are null. 

Is there any python that will calculate this in an existing feature class? I don't like that the convert coordinate notation creates a new FC

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Another similar thread (Resolved) https://community.esri.com/thread/27279 

Think Location
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you consider using Calculate Geometry for calculating the XY values in DD? Calculating area, length, and other geometric properties—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

In my earlier responses I have assumed that you don't need XY values in DD, but only in DMS.

Think Location
LindaRadomile
Emerging Contributor

Yes, but I need to do this in Pro not Desktop.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh. I didn't realize that. In ArcGIS Pro you could use Add Geometry Attributes—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Think Location
LindaRadomile
Emerging Contributor

Thanks but I tried that too.  You don't have the ability to change format in that tool, the XY output is in northing and easting.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

perhaps you had better confirm the coordinate system of the data and what the coordinate system of the map is. Then if you could screen-grab your input dialog, something might pop up as being amiss

0 Kudos