AnsweredAssumed Answered

Merge results of iteration output from collect values

Question asked by Sonoma_Land_Trust on Sep 14, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 by Sonoma_Land_Trust

I am trying to merge feature classes in a file geodatabase into new feature class in a file geodatabase so that I can then dissolve by an attribute.

Context:

I have a feature class that has the fooprints (polygons) of feature classes (lines) I want to merge.
The complete set of the line feature classes are located in 4 different file geodatabases (due to size of total dataset, the contractor delivered the whole county of 1 foot interval contour lines to the client divided this way).
Each polygon feature is a footprint that represents a feature class of contour lines.
Each polygon footprint feature has the direct path to the line feature class stored as a string/text as an attribute.

Model:

My model takes the feature class of Footprints (input parameter) that cover an area of interest and iterates through those polygon footprint features.
The footprint feature class input has a feature and database friendly name that is parsed out to use as a variable to name the merged output feature class as a parameter called Footprint Name.
The iteration of the features is done using the Iterate Field Values tool in ModelBuilder.
The output Contour Path is a string and is the complete path to each line feature class I want to merge (contour lines).
The value of each iteration is added to a multivalue by the Collect Values tool and ouput  to List of Contour FC Paths, which is also set as a model parameter.

This works.
Screenshot of model attached is called Modelshot
Screenshot of output attached is called ListModel

Problem:
I can't seem to get the merge tool to take this list and execute a merge.

From what I have read the Collect Values tool is the correct tool to use to capture the results of an iteration for a merge but the output is not visible to the Merge tool either in the model or as the output of a submodel.

I've tried making feature layers and collect those to give to the merge tool without success.

I do not want to copy and then add those copied feature classes to the merge because the feature class already exists and remaking it is a performance issue and a waste of drive space/time that I am specifically avoiding with this model.
I have all the paths, I want to automate merging those feature classes into a single feature class which I will then dissolve by the elevation attribute and calculate indexes for labeling using another model.

How do I hook up this list of feature class paths to the merge tool in ModelBuilder?

Attachments

Outcomes