Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial Referance Error

Jump to solution
02-22-2013 10:03 AM
ChrisCorwin
Frequent Contributor
So, I have a set of operational layers in a map cache. They have a projection of State Plane. I added those layers to the Project Center and tried to add an imagery basemap from ArcGIS online. When I do this, I get a spatial reference error saying they so not match. Fine... SO, I used an aerial image that was also in the same State Plane projection. Create a tile package and try to add that to my project... Same spatial reference error.
So my questions are... Where am I going wrong here? and how do I make sure the operational layers and the base map/tile package have the same spatial reference?
Thanks!
PS - I am using 10.1.1
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherOlsen
Frequent Contributor
The spatial reference has to be the same for all layers in the project.  In the Help topic for tiled packages, it mentions:

When using a basemap in mobile projects with other basemaps or operational layers, make sure the spatial reference of your basemap and operational layers match each other. You can use a custom tiling schema or an ArcGIS Online, Bing Maps, or Google Maps tiling schema (WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere). With a custom tiling schema, you can use the Generate_Map_Server_Cache_Tiling_Scheme geoprocessing tool. If you're using ArcGIS Online, Bing Maps, or Google Maps for your basemap, make sure you also use the same WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere as the spatial reference for your operational layers (set for data frame in ArcMap).

Hope this helps!
Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChristopherOlsen
Frequent Contributor
The spatial reference has to be the same for all layers in the project.  In the Help topic for tiled packages, it mentions:

When using a basemap in mobile projects with other basemaps or operational layers, make sure the spatial reference of your basemap and operational layers match each other. You can use a custom tiling schema or an ArcGIS Online, Bing Maps, or Google Maps tiling schema (WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere). With a custom tiling schema, you can use the Generate_Map_Server_Cache_Tiling_Scheme geoprocessing tool. If you're using ArcGIS Online, Bing Maps, or Google Maps for your basemap, make sure you also use the same WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere as the spatial reference for your operational layers (set for data frame in ArcMap).

Hope this helps!
Chris
0 Kudos
ChrisCorwin
Frequent Contributor
Using the Bing, Google, ArcGIS files are out for now, I guess. I really don't want the hassle of having to change all my projections just for one mobile application. I have no issue when running the web apps.

I have tried using the "Share As" -tile package, but when I do, there is no place to set the spatial reference. The aerial image I am trying to create a base map with is in the same projection as the data. I imported the projection of the operational layers into the image file.
0 Kudos
ChrisCorwin
Frequent Contributor
Chris,
Thank you for you help! It did help. I am a little sleep deprived with new life, but I figured out what you were saying. I found the Generate Tile Scheme tool, and created my own tile package scheme using the map document I used to create the mobile cache. Then, I took my aerial image and created a tile package by importing the tile scheme I created. I think opne and unpackaged the tile scheme in the mobile project center and added it to the folder in which the project was held. I then copied this folder to our trimble handhelds and I worked well.
Thanks!
Chris
0 Kudos