Changing Location of "My Toolboxes"

Jump to solution
12-16-2016 11:10 AM
ChrisHolmes
Occasional Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I found the following link which describes how to make a registry edit to change the default location of "My Toolboxes". By default it is located in C\Users....

http://support.esri.com/technical-article%5C000011321

I have written a number of models and scripts and am wondering if it is better to have them sitting on a network drive and make a registry change for each user who needs them rather than copying the Toolboxes in the each persons C:\users... path.

Seems easier to just have to update the network toolbox once if tools are updated than to have to go around to every persons PC to make any updates.

Are there any downsides to doing this change? I'm wondering possibly performance may be slower? Could there be any conflicts if more than one person tries using them at the same time???

Thanks for reading,

Chris

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As long as no one tries to edit the toolbox, this is a good way to go. I would recommend having a local copy for development and then copying the current version to the network though, so no one runs into trouble running your tools while you are editing them.

UPDATE:

Just a reminder, if your toolbox calls tools within it, be sure and set the checkbox to honor relative paths before you copy the toolbox. Another little sharing trick - use Save As Previous version to make your toolbox usable by different versions of ArcMap. (If you save as 10.1 format, 10.1 to the current version (including Pro) can use the shared toolbox.) There is a known bug in 10.4 (fixed in 10.5) saving to previous version, but a workaround is to open the toolbox in Pro and Save as previous version from there. Also don't use funny characters, just a-z0-9

Setting general model properties—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Saving a toolbox from 10.4 to 10.3 

Saving a toolbox in an older version 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As long as no one tries to edit the toolbox, this is a good way to go. I would recommend having a local copy for development and then copying the current version to the network though, so no one runs into trouble running your tools while you are editing them.

UPDATE:

Just a reminder, if your toolbox calls tools within it, be sure and set the checkbox to honor relative paths before you copy the toolbox. Another little sharing trick - use Save As Previous version to make your toolbox usable by different versions of ArcMap. (If you save as 10.1 format, 10.1 to the current version (including Pro) can use the shared toolbox.) There is a known bug in 10.4 (fixed in 10.5) saving to previous version, but a workaround is to open the toolbox in Pro and Save as previous version from there. Also don't use funny characters, just a-z0-9

Setting general model properties—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Saving a toolbox from 10.4 to 10.3 

Saving a toolbox in an older version 

ChrisHolmes
Occasional Contributor III

Excellent. Thanks Curtis. Yes, was definitely thinking to do my development local then move to the network.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos