Select to view content in your preferred language

Multiprocessing using arcpy & spatial analyst (solar analyst tool)

04-09-2015 12:40 AM
Chris
by
Deactivated User

I need help getting multiprocessing to work with the spatial analyst tool - Solar Analyst.

I have tested the multiprocessing bit and it works fine. This sample is passing it a file containing 2 lines used as parameters that get parsed and fed to the main function (final) as vars to the Solar Analyst tool. The function works on its own, but when altogether with the multiprocessing code I get the traceback below.

I think that the fact the raster DEM is trying to be accessed by multiple child processes is what is tripping the traceback error, as I get the error after some time, close to what would be the second run from the pool. Perhaps it is because I do not have unique scratch workspaces for reach child process, as is mentioned in the following links: link​ , link​. Again, if this is the case I need help implementing a unique workspace for each child process.

However, as suggested by a colleague I have successfully run the Solar Analyst tool using the same input raster on two instances of ArcMap being open, at the same time. So I am not convinced it is having a hard time accessing the raster because the other child process is as well. Thoughts?

In general, please feel free to offer any pointers you might have for optimizing this code. Thank you kindly.

import multiprocessing
    import time
    import arcpy

def final(x):
        outputfile=open("outputfile.txt","a")
        starttime= time.time()
        # Check out any necessary licenses
        arcpy.CheckOutExtension("Spatial")
        arcpy.env.workspace = r"C:\data\LiDAR\working\V2\FINAL_TEST\final_test"
        arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

# Parse params
        the_split= x.split(",")
        DOY = the_split[0]
        k_daily = the_split[1]
        diffuse = the_split[2]

# Set local variables
        inRaster = r"C:\data\LiDAR\working\V2\best_dems_05_1\oak_idwnat_flt.tif"
        latitude = 48.4222
        skySize = 400
        timeConfig = arcpy.sa.TimeWithinDay(DOY,0, 24)
        dayInterval = 14
        hourInterval = 0.5
        zFactor = 1
        calcDirections = 32
        zenithDivisions = 16
        azimuthDivisions = 16
        diffuseProp = diffuse
        transmittivity = k_daily
        outDirectRad = ""
        outDiffuseRad = ""
        outDirectDur = ""

# Execute AreaSolarRadiation
        outGlobalRad = arcpy.sa.AreaSolarRadiation(inRaster, latitude, skySize, timeConfig,
          dayInterval, hourInterval, "NOINTERVAL", zFactor, "FROM_DEM",
          calcDirections, zenithDivisions, azimuthDivisions, "UNIFORM_SKY",
      diffuseProp, transmittivity, outDirectRad, outDiffuseRad, outDirectDur)

# Save the output
        outGlobalRad.save(r"C:\data\LiDAR\working\V2\FINAL_TEST\output\global_"+str(DOY))
        end_time = time.time()
        outputfile.write("batch job" + str(DOY) + "ended well")
        outputfile.write(" %d " % (end_time-starttime) )
        outputfile.close()
    #To test this script only pass the below

#if __name__ == "__main__":
    # final("266,0.4269347,0.771440152")

if __name__=='__main__':

start= time.time()

filename = "k_daily_diffuse_2.txt"
       readfile = open(filename, "r")
       lines_from_filename = []
       for i in readfile:
           lines_from_filename.append(i)
       p = multiprocessing.Pool(2)
       p.map(final, lines_from_filename)
       end = time.time()
       print "batch job ended well"
       print end-start

p.close()
       p.join()

----------------------------------------OUTPUT BELOW----------------------------------------

Python 2.7.5 (default, May 15 2013, 22:44:16) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32 Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
    >>> ================================ RESTART ================================
    >>>

Traceback (most recent call last): 
    File "C:\data\LiDAR\working\V2\FINAL_TEST\multi_test_FINAL.py", line 63, in <module>
            p.map(final, lines_from_filename) 
    File "C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.2\lib\multiprocessing\pool.py", line 250, in map
            return self.map_async(func, iterable, chunksize).get() 
    File "C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.2\lib\multiprocessing\pool.py", line 554, in get
            raise self._value ExecuteError:
    ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
    Failed to open raster dataset
    Failed to execute (AreaSolarRadiation).

These sites report the same traceback errors, if they offer any clues:

[GeoNet from 2010], [GeoNet from 2014], [GIS StackExchange]

The community deserves an answer to this longstanding problem.

This question was posted here hoping an answer might come from a source that did not see the same question at this site​, as Dan Patterson​ is keen to point out. Please keep any comments to the point of this post: provide constructive feedback towards an end to the problem. Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Cross-posted here Multiprocessing with arcpy and Solar Analyst (spatial analyst) - Geographic Information Systems Stac...  in case comments appear there that might be pertinent to people answering this question

0 Kudos
Chris
by
Deactivated User

I would transfer comments from the GIS Stackexchange if they appeared there. Since you seem to scour for people's problems posted between different forum sites where they are might find help, how about pointing me to other sites that I could try to get some actual constructive responses from? Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would cross reference so that some individual doesn't waste their time researching an answer only to find that another individual had given a similar or different response on a different site, thereby wasting my time.   Image how poor Thag felt when he discovered that Smog had already invented the wheel in the valley across the river.  Perspective...perspective

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Curtis for the FYI, I will let Thag know...just goes to show you that the sun never sets on an unanswered question

0 Kudos