2010 Census count discrepancies

Jump to solution
01-25-2012 06:41 AM
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III
I am seeing slight discrepancies in census population numbers for the 2010 benchmark report variables (TOTPOP_CY) and the numbers on census.gov's quickfacts.  Does anyone know the source of the ESRI data as compared with these quickfacts numbers?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
I am seeing slight discrepancies in census population numbers for the 2010 benchmark report variables (TOTPOP_CY) and the numbers on census.gov's quickfacts.  Does anyone know the source of the ESRI data as compared with these quickfacts numbers?

Thanks!

Mike,

I believe the difference is due to comparing vintages that are not the same.  The 2010 Esri dataset currently available on comparison reports is an older dataset that is still census 2000 based.  The actual census 2010 dataset as well as the Esri 2011/2016 (based on census 2010) are not yet available in comparison reports.  I would assume that then census.gov's quickfacts are from the new census 2010 data release so that should account for the number differences.

Regards,
Jason

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks!

Mike,

I believe the difference is due to comparing vintages that are not the same.  The 2010 Esri dataset currently available on comparison reports is an older dataset that is still census 2000 based.  The actual census 2010 dataset as well as the Esri 2011/2016 (based on census 2010) are not yet available in comparison reports.  I would assume that then census.gov's quickfacts are from the new census 2010 data release so that should account for the number differences.

Regards,
Jason
0 Kudos