Portrait photos - display correct orientation?

12-16-2011 11:32 PM
DotHelm
New Contributor
I'm using a Garmin GPSmap 62sc for geotagged photos of trail resources, in particular sign posts so vertical/portrait orientation makes the most sense. They display ok in the GPS, and the Orientation flag in the EXIF fields appears to be set properly.

I've used RoboGeo to generate a .kmz file with the photos (partly because I did this before I had this gps, but with this I'm not writing anything to EXIF fields) and I've also added a couple photos directly to ArcGIS Explorer, but they all end up with landscape orientation  -with posts laying on their sides.

While I could take the pics in landscape mode then crop, the direction of the photo is incorrect. (Antenna pointing to left generates a pic that shows correctly in ArcGIS Explorer, but has incorrect Direction for photo. Antenna pointing up has correct Direction, but picture is horizontal.)

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EdanCain
New Contributor II
Dot,
thanks for the post. There is nothing that you are doing wrong, the code simply isn't reading the orientation of the image from the exif data. I hadn't thought to check the orientation within the exif when writing the code.

I hope to get time to work on a fix for this and have it in for our next release.

Kind regards,
Edan
0 Kudos
DotHelm
New Contributor
Thanks, Edan. That will simplify things for one of our users - and me - who would like to just add individual photos occasionally.

In the meantime, I discovered an option in RoboGeo which flips the images appropriately. So my .kmz files come out with the photos correctly oriented. That has over 230 photos spread in 5 files.

Dot
0 Kudos