Select to view content in your preferred language

arcsde 9.3 and postgreSQL 9.1

10-25-2011 11:25 PM
andityaarifianto
New Contributor
can't I use higher postgreSQL for example postgreSQL 9.1 for ArcSDE 9.3?
thank you
0 Kudos
1 Reply
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You can't mix-n-match software releases, especially when there have been significant changes,
as between PG 8.3.0 (for which ArcSDE 9.3 was certified) and PG 9.1 (which might not even
be supported by ArcSDE 10.1). 

Certification testing is difficult and time-consuming, so only the version that was current during
ArcGIS development is "fully supported".  Minor releases are usually safe with most databases
(even though they are not tested, they are assumed to work), but PostgreSQL has been more
willing to introduce significant incompatibilities at even minor releases (as when the time datatype
changed between 8.3.0 and 8.3.4), which makes straying from the System Requirements
certification list riskier.

Vince's First Law of Compatibility: For optimal stability, the application software should have
been released after the server software, which should have been released after the operating
system (tOS < tRDBMS < tGIS).

Unfortunately, the disparity between release frequency of PostgreSQL and ArcGIS makes it
difficult to use a recent PG with ArcSDE -- by the time an ArcGIS beta becomes a release,
the "current" PG build is often incompatible.  I had been a big fan of PG, but I no longer have
the time to keep upgrading; I can't imagine how large production shops would deal with this
issue.

- V
0 Kudos