Select to view content in your preferred language

VBA Toolbar after Upgrade to 10 is not Working

12-27-2010 05:03 PM
JanetRogers
Frequent Contributor
I have manually added a toolbar to a document and created a number of macros in VBA which are run from the toolbar.  These work perfectly in 9.3.1 however in 10, the buttons show [Missing ...] and of course no longer work.

We have been told that the only solution is to re-write the Macros in VB.NET - which is in the plans - however my understanding was that 10 should run VBA, even if it no longer supported.  I would appreciate it if someone could suggest what is the problem here.

The extra VBA module has been installed with ArcMap 10 and a licence provided by ESRI is being used.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Venkata_RaoTammineni
Regular Contributor
I have manually added a toolbar to a document and created a number of macros in VBA which are run from the toolbar.  These work perfectly in 9.3.1 however in 10, the buttons show [Missing ...] and of course no longer work.

We have been told that the only solution is to re-write the Macros in VB.NET - which is in the plans - however my understanding was that 10 should run VBA, even if it no longer supported.  I would appreciate it if someone could suggest what is the problem here.

The extra VBA module has been installed with ArcMap 10 and a licence provided by ESRI is being used.

hi,

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/vba_desktop/ao_home.html
0 Kudos
JanetRogers
Frequent Contributor
Thank you - I know that eventually I will need to convert everything across, but for the moment I need an answer to my question about 10 not supporting existing VBA, as I don't have time to convert all the macros at once and my client needs this to work urgently.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Deactivated User
I haven't a clue what the underlying issue is.

Since you stated that your need was "urgent" then a possible workaround might be for you to develop a non-VBA component to add to the toolbar which calls your VBA logic within it. 

Perhaps that will resolve the "urgent" problem until you can get an answer from ESRI support or another user.
0 Kudos
JanetRogers
Frequent Contributor
I haven't a clue what the underlying issue is.

Since you stated that your need was "urgent" then a possible workaround might be for you to develop a non-VBA component to add to the toolbar which calls your VBA logic within it. 

Perhaps that will resolve the "urgent" problem until you can get an answer from ESRI support or another user.

I was really just interested in finding out whether anyone else had had the same problem.  The urgency is that the client is impatient to get all his computers running 10;  the one with the toolbar has been set back to 9.3.1 to enable it to keep working.  It was my understanding that VBA should still work with 10 - is this correct?
0 Kudos
VivekPrasad
Deactivated User

Hi,
To confirm whether VBA has been installed and authorized properly, please check if you can open VBA Editor from your ArcMAP 10.0 (you can use Alt + F11 as short cut). Installing and authorizing VBA should allow the buttons to show up and be used.

Vara Prasad M S
GIS Analyst.
0 Kudos