Change symbol or label properties for multiple layers in the TOC

11-15-2010 08:27 AM
Labels (1)
JeffWielki1
Occasional Contributor

Sometimes multiple layers in an mxd need to be symbolized or labeled in exactly the same way, but making multiple selections in the TOC doesn't allow the user to change these properties for all layers. You still need to go through each one individually.
This could be a big time saver in some instances, and would be easy to implement.

14 Comments
JeffWielki1

*Change*... apologies.

DamonPettitt
Before our office began using ArcGIS around 2000, we would use MicroStation as our GIS software and I loved using its ability to change symbology for multiple files at once.  I realize it could get tricky when dealing with different geometry types, but I think gaving this ability in ArcMap would be great.
ChrisFox
In regards to the symbology you might want to check out the arcpy.mapping module function UpdateLayer with the optional parameter symbology_only. With this in python you could loop through mutliple layers in a map document and update the symbology for each layer based on the symbology properties of another layer or layer file.
JurajKrumpolec
BIG YES. To adjust same fill or outline color for multiple layers (even with single symbol) or same labeling can't be done in ArcMap with one simple click. User has to hire programmers at least from CERN to accomplish this challenging task.
JurajKrumpolec
JenniferMinnick
Would love this feature. Maybe it's doable with coding but I can't find any references.
JenniferMinnick
I couldn't find a way to edit or delete my previous comment - it wasn't clear.

What I would like woudl be a way to copy layer label propeties.  There are a few ways to copy layer symbol properties:

1) Apply symbology from layer which you can batch.
2) I guess that python stuff mentioned by Chris_Fox but I don't know python.

There may be a way to do this with python but again, I don't know python (yet, I guess).
JenniferMinnick
And I've just relocated Label Manager but don't seem to be able to find any tools to do batch changes, you still have to copy the paramaers and paste to each label class.  I don't know if this can be done in python or not or in a batch manner or not.
BrentChamberlain1

I would like to see a feature that would allow us to select multiple layers, right click on one of the selected and be able to make changes to the their shared properties.

This would be useful to make changes to symbology so that I can quickly update numerous layers (without having to create a separate layer file using a model).

JurajKrumpolec