Create an Android version of Site Scan

07-20-2020 11:03 PM
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

As Esri are platform agnostic, please can you create an Android version of Site Scan app. Based on its history and that Esri purchased it from 3DR, I realise why it is currently only available on iOS devices, however it is an important application for all users who use Drone2Map and related software. Even Quick Capture integrates with Site Scan to leverage the ability for capturing data. 

Tags (1)
22 Comments
CodyBenkelman

We have been considering creation of an Android version, but note that this app is responsible for controlling and ensuring the safe flight of commercial drones, and this requires extensive development and testing.  Extending this functionality to Android devices would be a major development effort, and we have not yet made a commitment to proceed. 

Can you let us know your reasons for this request? 

• Is the primary concern related to the cost of the tablet? 
  • Are there security concerns? 
  • Do you need a ruggedized mobile device? 
  • Are there limitations imposed by your IT department?   (Note that we certainly appreciate the challenge of expanding system administration efforts, if limited to Android, to include iOS devices for general purpose office communications - but most organizations using drones as operational equipment will dedicate the flight planning hardware to serve this one purpose.   Given the cost of a good quality drone, the pilot training and certification, and the many compliance issues, iPads used for Site Scan Flight are not also expected to support email, navigation, social media, etc.). 

[Please add any other issues for consideration]

If you'd like to discuss your requirements further, please contact cbenkelman@esri.com

Ausgold

Hi Cody,   Currently using  DJI smart controller as is designed for commercial applications. 

I am currently using Pix4Dcapture for mission planing and Drone2map for photogrammetry.

Looked at site scan and I was impressed with it and connectivity with Arcgis online.  I would definitely move to this if developed.

MervynLotter

Hi Cody

We only use Android on our mobile phones and tablets. We don't have any iOS devices but perhaps this is something we will need to reconsider if Esri is unable to start development on an Android version.

There is no IT policy that would prohibit us from doing so, it is more a budgetary constraint at the moment. 

Regards

Mervyn

AntonioGomide

We use several products from Esri. More than 200 ArcMap licenses, ArcGIS Enterprise, Collector, Survey123, WEbApp Builder.
And our IT has Android as a standard for mobile devices. 

Charles_cwb

In the comapny, where I work, we have more than 200 Arcmap Licenses, and Our company uses Android system for mobile devices. So, is very important a connection between Esri with Android.

NicoBonnafoux
Status changed to: Under Consideration

ZivCohen-Sollal

Phantom 4 rtk remote controler has build in crystal sky tablet with Android.

It can't replaced the with an ipad, i cant see how we can use sitescan with that main mapping drone.

We have also matrice 210 v2 rtk, it only support dji pilot app - android version for configuration and firmware updates, in order to use site scan we always need to replace the cristal aky to ipad. And it's very annoying in the field where the condition is not always optimal. 

Sitescan should support dji rtk popular mapping products. 

NicoBonnafoux

Thanks for your comments @ZivCohen-Sollal

Concerning the Phantom 4 RTK, you can replace your existing controller with DJI's Phantom 4 RTK "SDK Controller" to use the Site Scan Flight app. 

The M210RTK is fully supported by the Flight app, but you are correct that you need to connect it to an iPad. Please do note that DJI has discontinued support for this drone, and other M200-series drones. 

You're also welcome to use DJI's GS-Pro app to capture data, then manually create a Mission in the Site Scan Manager web-app to upload and process your images. 

Clemens_Naderer

The Smart Controller by DJI can install Android Apps, so the App could be installed directly on the device. Many customers of DJI buy those Smart Controllers.

GregoryEnglishAAAE

iPads fail in hot temperatures and direct sunlight so not a good option for mission critical hardware. They really aren't intended for industrial or outdoor use.  I would definitely would like to see Site Scan on DJIs android controllers like some of the other flight planning options.