Support for EnterpriseDB

05-03-2019 08:25 AM
Labels (1)
ErnstBostelaar
Esri Contributor

enterprisedb (EDB) enhances postgresql making it enterprise ready by adding several features, capabilities and support around PostgreSQL. For details see their website.

ArcGIS currently supports certain PostgreSQL versions with binaries downloaded from postgresql.org.
However, ArcGIS does not currently support EDB Postgres Enterprise Advanced Server with setups downloaded from enterprisedb.com. Unfortunately, when using EDB it is not yet possible to create or enable enterprise geodatabases.

It would therefore be great if support for EDB could be added for the upcoming ArcGIS and Pro releases. What do you think?

8 Comments
MarcoBoeringa

Have you attempted to run the AddIncrementingIDField_management tool against any of the tables, and subsequently see if you can add Query Layers from an EDB database? It might just work and be all you need, unless you really need Enterprise Geodatase type datasets like Network Datasets or such.

In fact, Query Layers give you great flexibility in defining the layer contents through generic SQL, especially if the PostgreSQL database also has PostGIS installed.

I have had great success using it against ultra large (up to 200M records for a polygon layer of Europe) OpenStreetMap based PostGIS databases.

Just two important tips:

- Do hit that "Use Spatial Reference extent" button on really large layers (> 1M) when you drag the layer into ArcMap or Pro, or be prepared waiting hours for the layer's extent to be calculated (this is an issue I am currently taking up with ESRI Inc).

- Make sure you exclude any non-ArcGIS compatible field types, e.g. PostgreSQL's "hstore". Sometimes this requires setting up appropriate database views beforehand to make things easier.

Although officially not supported, I am also already on PostgreSQL 11.2 / PostGIS 2.5.2, and have seen no issues in both ArcMap 10.6.1 and Pro 2.3.2 with these versions of PostgreSQL and PostGIS and using Query Layers..

chrisbusskohl1

+1 on adding support for EDB Postgres Advanced Server

JohnLovato

The US Forest Service is beginning an effort to migrate our Oracle databases to PostgreSQL.

EDB Advanced Server PostgreSQL has the Oracle compatibility features and tools that we require to move our large Enterprise Data Warehouse from Oracle to PostgreSQL.  The compatibility features allow migration of PL/SQL programming code that is used heavily within the data warehouse without modification.  Developers can continue to code in PL/SQL after migration.. The familiar Oracle administrative views  that EDB Advanced Server provides makes it easier for developers and DBAs to transition to working with Postgres. 

While community PostgreSQL is wonderful and supports ESRI geodatabases extremely well.  We have lots of PL/SQL programming code inside our data warehouse. Transitioning programing code from PL/SQL to Postgres is a time consuming process.  I would ask that ESRI please support the use of the EDB Advanced Server flavor of PostgreSQL so that large customers like the US Forest Service can leave Oracle and migrate to PostgreSQL  in a smooth manner with the least amount of effort.

If ESRI does not support EDB Advanced Server PostgreSQL then we'll be forced to either leave our EDW on Oracle and pay extreme prices, or separate the EDW into two pieces: 1) Geospatial Data to Community PostgreSQL 2) Non-geospatial Data and PL/SQL programming code to EDB Postgres Advanced Server PosgtreSQL.  This would create an enormous amount of work for our ETL programmers and application developers.  It would add complexity to our processes that would greatly increase the cost and effort of migrating off of Oracle database.

ESRI please add support for EDB Postgres Advanced Server Postgres... Thank you.

TomRieger

I am on the other end of this conversation with John and want to share the depth and breadth of government clients who are asking for this is large.  Anything I can do to push this along would be appreciated. Thanks

ClaudiaGarcía

i supply that ESRI support edb advanced server . in latam many customer would like to have this option in otherwise they are looking to migrate to QGis

NanaDei

This capability has been added with the ArcGIS Pro 3.0 and ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0 releases.

Review the following database requirements documentation for more information.

NanaDei
Status changed to: Implemented

Geosapient

Thank you for implementing this! We are going live on EPAS in June.