Select to view content in your preferred language

Change Compass Direction Format and Distance Units

02-28-2019 12:03 PM
LanceCase
Occasional Contributor

Very happy to finally see direction and distance in the new Compass tool in the new version of Collector (What's new?—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS).  It would be even better if the directions were not in cardinal or inter-cardinal format, but a numeric format instead.  It would also be nice to be able to pick the distance units to the feature or dropped pin.

Many others will be glad to see this new Compass tool in Collector as well:

Thanks for the continued app development!

Tags (2)
3 Comments
ZacharyHart

Having a bearing and distance to a point is a business critical item for us. Esri, take note that Avenza maps provides this functionality.

JeffShaner

@ZacharyHart - not sure if you have had a chance to look at Field Maps yet but we did add bearing/distance to the compass. It shows up on the sliding panel on your phone. 

I'd be interested in hearing more about how you use the compass in your workflows.

I have looked at the Navigation functionality in Avenza and there seem to be 4 navigation methods:

1. Project Destination
2. Navigate to Feature
3. Enter Coordinates
4. Create a Route.

With Field Maps, you can navigate to a feature, a place on the map (from a long press) or by coordinate (search for a coordinate and then from the result navigate to it - perhaps a bit hidden). How do you use Create a Route? Seems like it may be a "stake out" workflow - something we are considering for data collection. 

Would love to gather more information on this from you and others on this. Also would be interested to hear if supporting a view of the navigation would be useful on a peripheral device, like an Apple Watch, so you could keep your head up as you walk.

Thanks.

ZacharyHart

@JeffShaner 

Hi Jeff! This is great news. I've reached out to a couple coworkers who oversee much of our fieldwork for feedback and hopefully some additional details for you!