Synchronize selectable layer(s) in select widget with layer visibilities

10-03-2018 04:14 PM
RuthBunch__GISP
New Contributor II

We just implemented the Select widget, and its a great addition. The only suggestion I have is to synchronize the layers available to select from with those that are currently turned on. If you're working with a map containing many layers it can be cumbersome turning on/off the layer(s) in the Layer List then finding the same layer(s) the turn on/off in the select widget. Having the list in the Select widget already pared down to only match layers turned on in the Layer List would make it that much smoother.

I saw the Attribute Table widget has an option to sync with layer visibilities - not sure if that means whether a layer is turned on, or if that refers to any scale dependencies, but either way I liked the notion (see attached).

Thanks

1 Comment
by Anonymous User

Yes. Agree. Select widget from Esri is confusing for must users because of this exact reason. The check box in the Select in fact should toggle them on/off for visibility. That is what people think the checkbox will do, even me after I first opened it. It looks like a layer list. Alternatively if the layer isn't visible do not display it in Select. After all... if it's not visible (as in, turned on in the TOC) then why is it in Select? Often there will be a dozen or two dozen layers in there that aren't even on and makes using it very confusing.