add Open Data to Add Data Widget and allow multiple Curated Categories

08-28-2018 01:46 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

1) I'd like to see a preview of all the layers in Open Data in the Web App Builder Add Data widget.  With thumbnails and descriptions like in My Content but for Open Data Groups.

2) You can add one group at a time by using the Curated filter. It would be helpful to be able to add multiple Curated groups. For example I can add Environment but then no other groups to it.  Plus, it adds ALL the Environment layers at once and doesn't provide a nice list with thumbnails to page through, unlike how it works for My Content or ArcGIS  modes in Add Data. It would be nice to 'see' and load layers from Open Data in the Add Data widget like those other two categories, effectively linking Open Data to Web App Builder sites.

6 Comments
JonathanIrwin

I have had this same request from a number of users/customers and agree that being able to search multiple groups would be a useful enhancement to this widget.

by Anonymous User

Some code/instructions on how to extend the widget if you want to add more groups manually:

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-12852-multiple-groups-for-add-data-widget 

by Anonymous User

Awesome I'll take a look. We try to keep the number of layers to under 20 so as not to overwhelm users on the public property map site. But this would allow us to list all the Open Data layers effectively on the site in an easy way to add.

On that note I suggest the "create a web map" link to layers from Open Data add as a dynamic map service not a featureLayer. Currently implemented as the latter it is not useful for most layers, as they run in to the max record count and perform more slowly than a dynamic layer.  I would be excited to leverage Open Data even more and this Add Data functionality would actually be hugely beneficial to that end! I'll explore this modification soon and thank you for sharing Kevin!

by Anonymous User

Happy to share. I've got so much starter code for the WAB from Geonet, its only right to give some back

I have some ideas that fall inline with some of your ideas, but the code I posted above meets my client requirements, so I'm not sure I'll take it any further.

Of course, this idea as it stands would be a nice addition to the Add Data widget in the out of the box sense: allow multiple groups or perhaps allow it to dynamically read groups from the Portal.

by Anonymous User

I would also like to be able to add more than one curated group that users could be choosing from! Without having to write code...

BenjaminMittler

Not sure if this would help anyone else but it helped me, in the curated filter you can use "owner:ownernamehere" to add all of a users content