Compile and deploy Collector data from multiple devices in fully disconnected environment

05-07-2018 11:13 AM
OlwynBruce2
New Contributor II

I have field workers that are out for weeks (or longer) at a time. They are sometimes in groups that have multiple workers deployed in a field area and they need to be able to come back at the end of the day, compile their data collection to a laptop from multiple different devices and receive new maps (with the updated data) in a fully disconnected environment.

So, in summary, the workflow is:

1) Camp is established with laptop and multiple data collection devices (such as iPads).

2) Each day, multiple groups (each with a data collection device) go out and collect data.

3) At the end of each day, data from each device needs to be uploaded to a central device (ie. a laptop) so that all the data can be viewed, and so plans can be made for the next day.

4) The following day, each group will go out and collect more data, with a new map (or with other groups' data) as required.

1 Comment
ThomasColson

When I read stuff like this I really miss Arc Pad. So simple, connect it to a computer with a cable. What could go wrong? I had a similar workflow many years ago, mapping streams all over the southeast, I'd get back to my truck/hotel/hobo camp at the end of the day, transfer what was on the device to the laptop, have a lookee-see, make plans for the next day, provision other devices with my data.... By their nature, headwater streams are really far from lots of things, like the beer store, battery chargers, and cell towers. I'm sure Redlands has great cellular coverage, but Collector just doesn't work out for where folks need to use it: in the field (think of a giant meadow guarded by gnomes that use telepathy to block cell signals: that's what being in the "field" is like). Add to your idea the ability to cache logins. This happens to me a lot: have a team out for multiple days. In the heat, the iPad batteries drain really fast. So stuffed in a back pack for a 6 hour hike to investigate the latest sasquatch sighting, the darned thing dies. I've got an App For That! A charger brick. Sit around and eat a 4 hour lunch, get a charge back on, fire up Collector, attempt to login......