ArcGIS Pro: symbology for selected polygons

02-28-2018 07:48 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please, add an option to set custom symbol for selected polygons (as it is in ArcMap). If more neighboring polygons are selectes as the answer to selection by attribute or location it is not clear if the inner polygon(s) is selected or not. Perhaps it would be more useful to highlight selectes polygons by filled or hashed polygon symbol by default.

Vladimir Zenkl

6 Comments
RachaelChasse

It sounds like you have two separate ideas here.  Identifying which polygons are selected by using a fill pattern instead of an outline makes so much sense, especially if it is done in the cyan color that everyone is familiar with.

Maybe be it would be good to split these two ideas?  I think the idea to show selected polygons by a fill should stand on its own, and might get votes faster.

ThomasCox

I am surprised and disappointed this did not make it in already.  Setting a selection symbol (beyond simply color) seems a basic requirement.  I have written numerous applications that rely on this. It is unfortunate we have to lobby (vote) for it be there.

PeteVitt

This was a feature I used all the time in ArcMap and I'm hoping it gets into ArcPro soon

JeffBarrette

We are targeting this capability for Pro 2.7. 

Note - even though the CIM properties currently exist, changing the CIM definition for a layer's selection symbol will also not work.  

Jeff - arcpy.mp Team

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.

See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and (6:21) in the video.

GISAdminSHN

@KoryKramer partially implemented, still needs option for line thickness. We could then make them thinner while making detailed polygon edits, or thicker if someone needed that for accessibility reasons maybe?

Would also be nice if the selection symbology could optionally ignore the layer's existing fill, for example I am currently editing some polygons with a dense fill of dots, but the spacing allows me to still see the imagery beneath. When selected every dot is getting the default selection color and thickness and making the imagery impossible to see. Yes, I could change the layer's symbology to something else, but either of the above mentioned abilities would have been a better solution.